Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fireworks just started going off downtown, not too far from my house, and all the booms and crackles have got Gunther staring vigilantly out of the window. At first he didn't know what to make of it. He just kept tilting his head and listening, and then suddenly he jumped up and started to bark out the window. haha poor guy.

How is everyone's pups handling the excitement?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops... put this in the wrong section by mistake... sorry.

Well we could turn this into a picture thread if anyone wants to share any holiday pictures.. hah.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would love to see pictures. No fireworks for us :(, and they canceled the yearly firework show. Just the night before last we had a lightning storm that started 3 fires and we had just finished some other fires that had been going for a day. We aren't nearly as bad as the Colorado situation but lets just say here 'it aint good'. We are terribly dry here, the hills are brown, they were nice and green this time last year, I don't think they ever got green this year. The only thing that saves the ranch is we have center pivots that keep the crops watered, it is hard on the animals though. 100+ degree weather and it starts early, it was 70 at 4:00 yesterday morning.
Its so bad sometimes this week we will have to make the 4 hour trip to the nearest big city to get a tank set up for fighting grass fires, the towns around here are months out on ordering them because they are in such demand.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dang. It's been hot and dry here as well. Today it was 100 degrees and even at 4 am it only gets down to about 78 degrees. Also, the humidity rises during the night so it still feels like it's 85. This summer's been pretty miserable so far.

I've heard a lot of fireworks have been cancelled this year. There have been warnings for people not to light off their own fireworks to prevent any possible fires because of how dry it's been. I think the only reason they did fireworks here is because they light them off downtown over the river.

If this heat wave doesn't end soon, I'm moving to the Yukon.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
dang. It's been hot and dry here as well. Today it was 100 degrees and even at 4 am it only gets down to about 78 degrees. Also, the humidity rises during the night so it still feels like it's 85. This summer's been pretty miserable so far.

I've heard a lot of fireworks have been cancelled this year. There have been warnings for people not to light off their own fireworks to prevent any possible fires because of how dry it's been. I think the only reason they did fireworks here is because they light them off downtown over the river.

If this heat wave doesn't end soon, I'm moving to the Yukon.
When you get to the Yukon ... send me the "For Rent" adds! Lol!

Our fireworks were canceled too. You would be jailed if caught with even sparklers ........

I also saw something on the news ... which is rather controversial ... I imagine ... but some place was going to give out huge rewards if you turned your neighbor(s) in if they set off any fireworks ........ It was on the news here? Wouldn't that start something!!!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Tuesday night, Hamilton was upset by the fireworks and was walking around barking until my husband sat with him and clicked and treated each firework. Last night, he just slept through them. Of course yesterday he also spent much of the day outside with another dog over, so I think he was pretty wiped out!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a mixed house. My older two could care less but my younger (almost 2 years) freaks. He crawls under my bed when he is not pacing. Sad part is he is a rather big dog, just under 70 lbs and is leggy and I have a platform bed. How he fits is beyond me. We give him sedatives, but it still breaks my heart I can't do more for him.

Never thought about the treat thing. Might have to try that during storms and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
There were so many fireworks going off around here it was crazy! Certain classes of fireworks were legalized in this state last year so every goofball with a Bic lighter was setting them off. What in the world were the yahoos in the state legislature thinking?!?! And of course the ultra-dry weather and risk of fire didn't deter any of the pyromaniacs. It's not the fireworks I object to - those are neat. It's the people who don't know what they're doing who end up hurting themselves or others and/or who damage property around them.

Fortunately, the dog still ignores them, which is odd because she's fearful of a lot of other things. She barked a little at the bad storms that blew in through here early this morning. Me: "Er, um, Poca? That's just wind, honey." Poca: "I don't care! It sounds weird!! Ruff-ruff-ruff-rufff!" In her defense, it was a strange series of storms with lots of lightning and high winds, a small amount of hail, but little rain or thunder. At least in our little patch. Other areas got pounded with rain and lost power, so we were lucky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts