Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a four year old Golden Retriever rescue. We rescued her about two years ago and she was extremely fearful and shut down; she was abused. Any time any noise would be made she would drop down and lock up. Two years later she is like a different dog. She is playful and happy. We had noticed that she has something going on in her hind end and she has had this issue since we have had her. While at the rescue, she was checked out by a veterinarian and they said she was fine. (this was before we noticed the hind end)
I will try to describe the hind end issue to the best of my ability - it is almost like her hind end is weak, or like the connective ligaments or tendons are loose. I don't think she has good control over her hind end, but she sits, and lays downs, and gets back up relatively easily. When she trots, her hind end is very bouncy looking. She cannot jump very well and she seems very uncoordinated. Also, possibly unrelated, she has extremely loose skin.
Up until yesterday, I had never seen a dog with issues even kind of like Hannah's. Yesterday I was watching The Dog Whisperer and he was working with a dog who was Hannah's exact copy in physical build and mannerisms. This dog had the exact same hind end troubles that Hannah has. Cesar had mentioned the hind end, I heard him say possibly "Parvo" and one other disease that I did not catch. I Googled Parvo and apparently it is contagious. Hannah has been around plenty of other dogs, and she lives with one and none of those dogs have had any trouble. Also, wouldn't the vet at the rescue tell us if she had a condition like that?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Distemper is a possibility. It can cause nerve damage to varying degrees but wobbliness is common.

My bff is in Africa right now and rescued a local Village Dog that ended up getting distemper. Her hind end is a little wobbly but not too bad now.

There is an akita/husky mix in the neighborhood here that had distemper and his hind end is VERY wobbly as a result. He can't stand up straight; his rear end is always hunched down. His back right leg will barely touch the ground and is constantly doing and up-down bouncing motion even when he's standing. His left leg is a bit wobbly but not as bad. He hops when he runs and can't go very fast.

I don't know what effects parvo will have longterm. Distemper and parvo are rare in adult dogs, it's pretty much only puppies that catch it. The effects will last from infection as a puppy, but it's not common for an adult dog to catch it and get sick with it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think he meant that the dog had parvo as a puppy, not that he had it during the episode. Any viral infection can potentially cause lasting nerve damage. My sister caught a cold when she was 4 that set off a tic that lasted for years.

Still, I'd take the dog to an orthopaedic vet just to be sure there's nothing wrong with the hips. Goldens are subject to hip dysplasia.

Also, please do a little search around this site. Cesar Milan is . . . outdated. There are better ways to train a dog. Much, much better ways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Distemper was the condition I was thinking of but could not remember! The more I am learning the more I am understanding. Now I understand these (Parvo and Distemper) leave permanent issues in a dog. Something that doesn't add up, at least not yet, is she did not develop anything viral in the last two years she has been with me, I would know. And before that (from puppy age to two years old) she was tied to a tree. All her old owners did was kind of feed her and beat her. If she contracted something they would not have taken the necessary steps to help her achieve wellness. It seems to me, from the information I have gathered, a puppy does not overcome these viruses on their own. Is that correct? It's so conflicting because it seems like her hind end is the spitting image of a Distemper hind end. But then again, she has incredibly loose skin, what would that be from? I have, however, contacted The Dog Whisperer customer service type people to see if they can give me any information on what the dog in the episode had. Maybe I will get a worthwhile reply, maybe not. I figure it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
She certainly could have gotten it as a puppy and overcome it. My bff's dog in Africa had ZERO vet care and managed to survive distemper. It's not common but some dogs will make it.

I'd steer clear of The Dog Whisperer, unless you want to get advice from Paul Owens who is the original, positive "dog whisperer." Cesar Milan is not someone I'd take advice from on most things.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Considering her age and breed, I'd suspect hip dysplasia :(. Better have the vet take a look so you can discuss options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So they can survive without vet care? That is interesting. Do you think if I took her to the vet he would be able to look at her and say, "Ah, yes, this is from distemper." ? And I am consulting the television team for information about the dog, not training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts