Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two dogs now, and I'm taking the pup in for booster shots this week. I figured I would take Clayton in alone for this (no need to tramatize Cupid with an unneeded vet visit).

However, heartworm season is coming up, and I'm wondering if I should take the boys in together to be tested or if I should make separate appointments and do it separately. Together seems easier in some respects, but Cupid is a bit fearful at the vet (no doubt due to his surgery last year), so it might be easier not to deal with a small puppy plus a nervous dog. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm trying to decide when to get Clayton microchipped. Can I do it with his boosters (he's 11 weeks old, FYI) or should I do it another time? Would it be painful to do them both during the same visit? I'm new to the whole puppy (vs. adult dog) and microchipping thing.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If it isn't a long drive to the vet, I'd do it separately, just to prevent the puppy from learning to be nervous from the other dog. They can feed off of each other's feelings. If the older dog was calm at the vet's I'd say take both.

Microchipping can be done at any age. It's not traumatic. It's in a different location from the other vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'd take them separately for now, but I'd work on getting Cupid comfortable at the vet's office:

I had a vet fearing dog and he's 85 lbs and refused to go in the door after a traumatic visit. So I took him to the parking lot and fed him chicken for a few days. Then the next visit, I did the same thing, but opened the car door, sat there for a few minutes, closed the door, opened it again, more chicken, then drove home. Next time I got him out of the car and walked him around the parking lot praising and chicken. Did that for a few visits. Finally, we approached the door and stood looking in, back out to the car, more chicken and praise and then went home. Then into the waiting room without an appointment, chicken from the staff, the vet came out and said hi, then we went home. Finally, we had an appointment and he went in, no problem!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I used to go to the vet with 4 cats and a dog. Dog was off leash and behaved perfect and the 4 cats were all on leashes and also behaved.

Take them both and bring really high value treats and while there work on their focus and keep the treats coming. While they are being examined do the same. Just keep up the positive voice, posture and treats.. lots of treats.

Last visit the vet was sticking Atka with needles and taking blood for HW testing and while he was doing that I was sticking treats in the biting end of the dog. My dog DOESN'T bite and loves the vet but I do this anyhow.. keep the positive coming.

BTW I get a multiple animal discount when I bring 'em together so if I have any others who need things when I bring one, I bring them too.

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
I took my two rambunctious girls in about a month ago for checkups and vaccinations. I left Esther in the crate in the truck while I took Molly in. Then I came out and made "The switch."

If anyone had filmed "The Switch" it would be all over You Tube. I finally got Molly in the crate and Esther into the clinic and warned the vet, "This one is bigger and stronger."

Still, there would have been hell to pay if I'd left one of them home while taking the other. The only time they've been separated for more than a few minutes was when Molly was spayed, and it was not a happy time.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Separate visits for us is a must. Smalls is an over reactive mess and just the receptionists being separated by a counter is enough to send her into a screaming, flailing fit. She needs my undivided attention to keep her under control in the waiting room. She also does not like to be manipulated and will fight even a simple look over, and if she gets upset, Jonas goes absolutely crazy and tries to leap to her rescue, even if he's not in the room and can hear her.
On the flip side, Jack McCoy is the best dog ever and has no problems at the vet, even if Jonas or Smalls is there.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I don't have multiple dogs but if I did I would probably take them both at the same time. My reasoning would be that I travel about 30 miles to our vet so it would save time and fuel. I'd also ask the vet if I would be paying for one visit or two visits because of having two dogs. If I were only paying for one visit then no matter what both would go at the same time.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
if i am taking them for just their routine vet checks i take them all at once and in at the same time (no waiting in the car for any)....but if it's something "special" for any individual (1 or more) i will take them in one at a time....for this i usually have someone w/ me that can be getting the one while i am in w/ the other (as we're getting done w/ the 1st one) so there is no waiting for dogs....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I just took 3 in for annual checks. It wasn't bad. But they were all fairly well behaved (unless you count Holly, but she was just scared a little of the big dog scale haha).
I'd say if they're good with the vet, then there's no need to make multiple trips. If someone is a little nervous around the vet, I wouldn't bring any more stress though.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Three of mine are on the same vaccination schedule and if I take them all at once the vet only charges me for one office visit, so that's what I do. It's a bigger pain, but I keep them on short leashes and bring someone to help me if I can, but we're usually in and out fast and it isn't a big deal...hardest part is forking over the money for three dogs at one time, lol...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts