Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I live in a rural area on a large piece of land. I moved here a few years ago with two dogs, a chihuahua and a lab border collie mix. Since then I have acquired several other dogs dumped by their owners at a nearby bridge. They eventually find their way to me, and I take them to the vet, get them fixed and vaccinated, then try to find them homes. I currently have 5 more dogs, plus 1 wild one that hangs with the pack. Here is the current roster along with their sexes and ages:

Chihuahua, m, 15 yrs
lab border collie mix, f, 7 yrs
beagle, f, 3 yrs
blue heeler, f, 2 yrs
chow/shepherd mix, f, 2 yrs
chow/shepherd mix, m, 2 yrs (est) - wild and unapproachable
smooth coated fox terrier, m, 2 yrs
min pin, m, 2 yrs

During the day I keep the dogs outside and bring the little ones in at night. While outside they are free to run and keep mostly near the house but will chase deer. None of the dogs are aggressive with people (except the wild shepherd mix), but over the past year as the 2 yr old girls have matured I have seen them attack each other.

Last night I took the dogs out and the chow shepherd female and the blue heeler female teamed up on the beagle. I had a heck of a time pulling them off her, but eventually freed her. I am concerned that had I not intervened they would have killed her. I have also seen the beagle and the chow shepherd mix gang up on the blue heeler, so clearly we have a problem with hierarchy in the pack.

Caring for so many dogs is a challenge, and while I have the resources to provide for their physical needs, I am overwhelmed with how to handle their behavioral needs. If a behaviorist lived in the area I'd hire her, but we live in an isolated area so I feel we are on our own.

Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Any way you can make kennels/yards for them? I think that if you have that many running loose as a pack, things are just naturally going to happen.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
First off, are they loose and free to run as in no fences? That wouldn't be something I'd ever do. Can you put in dog runs or fence off sections for them?

I would NOT put the toy dogs out with the rest, or an older dog for that matter. It doesn't take much for a big dog to snap and kill a small dog!

If you have 2-3 runs that you can put them in, that would help, you could separate the dogs according to who gets along with who. At night I would suggest you put them all inside or in separate spaces in smaller groups, so they do get a break. Plus adding in wild dogs who just join in can put your guys at risk for disease and parasites as well as more fighting. If you are trying to find them homes, having them living semi wild, not housebroken or taught basic manners or crate trained is going to make it that much harder to find them a home. If a dog is used to just running at will with no training, they're not going to settle into family life and respect the back yard etc.... Also if they're used to being crated and getting one on one training, you can also easily give things like bones and so on to keep them busy and happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts