Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I recommend sliding the collar up the neck and under the chin. Gives you complete control of the head without having to buy a head halter. My dogs fought this originally, but now are fine with this arrangement. My basset is less fond of it than my cocker as he's a scent hound and is bred to have his nose to the ground.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I think it might be tied to their defense drives...passive or active. It might also be related to any corrections (if any) by Mom as a pup . I had one dog that went absolutely ballistic and a few that didn't seem to mind at all.
I've heard the same thing about it and I've heard that it all relates to how the head halter is introduced. I've read some books who advocate clicker training over a week or a week and half time to acclimate the dog. I've never used one myself so I can't say, but I have heard enough negative responses about it to say that people aren't imagining it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.