Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating trying out one of these devices to aid in our leash walk training.

Does anyone have experience with either of these. The gentle leader, I mean the head harness by premier, not the halter.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't have any experience with the gental leader, but I am buying one for my dog!:)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
They are a wonderful aid for people in wheelchairs or those with other disabilities.
I worked in physical rehab facility for many years and helped train some of the guide dogs. From an obedience standpoint with an able bodied person I don't care for them for two reasons. The Leader becomes a crutch and the handler(s) usually skip the real training that is involved for loose leash walking. Secondly, most dogs change their attitude markedly...one of resignation. I don't want that attitude from my dogs.
I used it on one my own dogs in the past and now its gathering dust somewhere.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Secondly, most dogs change their attitude markedly...one of resignation. I don't want that attitude from my dogs.
Yeah, I saw that in Toby when I tried a Gentle Leader. It certainly helped with the pulling, but I didn't like his attitude one bit. I tried a Halti with Willow and she was OK with it, but I guess some dogs are tougher than others.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Secondly, most dogs change their attitude markedly...one of resignation. I don't want that attitude from my dogs.

That's interesting, and can't help but wonder why some dogs would react this way. Maddy's attitude wasn't affected at all (head up, tail up, and oh-so-happy to be going out and about), but Beau didn't like it at all, initially. I was at my daughter's a couple of weeks ago with Maddy and Lucia, and we all were going to take the dogs to the park. Turns out that Delilah (daughter's dog) had chewed her collar, so checked my car to see if I had an extra. Didn't, but the GL was in there, so gave Delilah Maddy's collar to use, and put the GL on Maddy. She was just as thrilled to be going on the outing as when wearing her regular collar. No difference in attitude or behavior at all.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I recommend sliding the collar up the neck and under the chin. Gives you complete control of the head without having to buy a head halter. My dogs fought this originally, but now are fine with this arrangement. My basset is less fond of it than my cocker as he's a scent hound and is bred to have his nose to the ground.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
That's interesting, and can't help but wonder why some dogs would react this way.
I think it might be tied to their defense drives...passive or active. It might also be related to any corrections (if any) by Mom as a pup . I had one dog that went absolutely ballistic and a few that didn't seem to mind at all.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I think it might be tied to their defense drives...passive or active. It might also be related to any corrections (if any) by Mom as a pup . I had one dog that went absolutely ballistic and a few that didn't seem to mind at all.
I've heard the same thing about it and I've heard that it all relates to how the head halter is introduced. I've read some books who advocate clicker training over a week or a week and half time to acclimate the dog. I've never used one myself so I can't say, but I have heard enough negative responses about it to say that people aren't imagining it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We bought one for our daughters yellow lab that we were dog sitting. She has always pulled when on lease, even for her owners and they used a prong collar on her.
Anyway, this is one of the few products I've ever tried that lived up to they hype. She didn't like it, but once on, was a joy to walk. I think it's a must for larger breeds that must be walked by older folks.
You must fit it according to the instructions. Some say it is too tight, but if fitted properly causes no problem for the dog. I found that the plastic adjustable keeper was not stong enough to hold the collar setting in the proper place, so adjusted it correctly, then rivited the strap to hold securely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts