Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kayco is a retarted puller, the worst i've ever had to fix. No matter how many time I twist and turn , run and stop no improvments , not even the slightest tire. So tonight I was very fustrated.... VERY FUSTRATED it was to the point my fingers were turning purple from the pulling so I made a halter out of his leash ( so it was attached to his neck and his muzzel ). Instint fix, at first he fought it but gave in with in seconds!

Is a halter okay? will it help fix his pulling or is it only a tempt fix?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would buy a head halter, like the gentle leader if you feel you need a halter. Take the dogs age into consideration too. I don't believe puppies should where anything aside from a buckle collar, or a harness for appropriate breeds (cavs..etc). However, that's just my opinion.

The thing is, this can quickly turn into a crutch. You must also train the dog to walk nicely as the head halter should only be temporary. You never pull, or correct a dog in a head halter and you need to make sure it fits properly so it doesn't cause discomfort. Slowly introduce the head halter in your home, without a leash. Make sure you're giving your dog lots of positive reinforcement when he's trying it on. Have you thought about taking your dog to an obedience class?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would buy a head halter, like the gentle leader if you feel you need a halter. Take the dogs age into consideration too. I don't believe puppies should where anything aside from a buckle collar, or a harness for appropriate breeds (cavs..etc). However, that's just my opinion.

The thing is, this can quickly turn into a crutch. You must also train the dog to walk nicely as the head halter should only be temporary. You never pull, or correct a dog in a head halter and you need to make sure it fits properly so it doesn't cause discomfort. Slowly introduce the head halter in your home, without a leash. Make sure you're giving your dog lots of positive reinforcement when he's trying it on. Have you thought about taking your dog to an obedience class?
well currently he is only here until monday as a foster/trial dog.
I've personally been training basic obedience for a few years now with plently of recommendations. Kayco is honestly the strongest and worst puller i've ever had to train. If we keep him, im going to enroll him into classes if i can't help him. I've always tried not to resort to a halter ( i've been using normal collars to quick release ) . But until he calms down I think I will try the head halter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you try some playful feeding sessions? No obedience stuff, just feeding him for being engaged with you. I do this separately before all other work. For me, it doesn't make any sense to ask the dog to heel or do anything if he doesn't know it and isn't even interested in me. I reward just simply being engaged in beginning, maybe just ask him to sit a few times if he gets all jumpy - during this time leash is just there to prevent bolting off. I'd walk backwards and dance if I have to, just to make the walk interesting. As far as "loose leash" goes, this alone usually does the job and you should not need halters.

He maybe a "different" dog, I don't know, but some dogs are very, very energetic and just don't feel comfortable on a leash so you'd have to use a lot of food to counter condition this. Reason some of them are pulling may be nothing other than a automatic coping mechanism, with food you can replace this with looking at you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts