Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know pits have bad reputations. I knew when I brought Rosco home that I was eventually going to encounter someone who did not like him just because of his breeding. Maybe they know a guy who knows a guy who read somewhere that a pitbull ate their baby. Maybe they have a legitimate reason. Whatever.

We were on our afternoon walk along the river when a couple spotted Rosco, him being the adorable prancing thing that he is, and couldn't resist the urge to come over and say hi. After petting him and picking him up (without asking. I'm not opposed to a good snuggle but he's not always going to weigh 12 pounds and I'd rather not be stuck carrying around a giant toothy baby), and saying the usual "Oh how sweet", "So polite", etc., they asked what kind of dog he is.

"Half Collie, half APBT." They immediately stopped cooing over him and backed away.

"Half pitbull? Hm..." And then they walked away, leaving the poor, whining vicious beast behind them. Part of me was furious over their ignorance. The other part of me felt bad that they would never know the love a pitbull can bring into a life. Thats just me trying not to be mad at anyone. Maybe I'm half pitbull too.

Rosco 008.jpg
I may be "half pitbull", but I am also
100% Family
100% Friend
100% Loved​

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love Pitbulls, but I don't think I could ever have one because of this, or at least not until I re-locate to a less stuck up area. I have a hard time taking my Bostons out because someone stupid always makes a comment such as 'stay away from the mean looking dogs.' or 'They have a pitbull mouth, they could really give you a bad bite' Um..what? What does that even mean? Yeah sure Because clearly two 12 pounds dogs trying to lick you to death are going to cause you harm, whatever. Comments like that INFURIATE me and I couldn't imagine having a Pit and dealing with it. I'd be in and out of jail for assault and battery every 2 weeks lol Your pup is adorable, don't let ignorant fools get to you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love Pitbulls, but I don't think I could ever have one because of this, or at least not until I re-locate to a less stuck up area. I have a hard time taking my Bostons out because someone stupid always makes a comment such as 'stay away from the mean looking dogs.' or 'They have a pitbull mouth, they could really give you a bad bite' Um..what? What does that even mean? Yeah sure Because clearly two 12 pounds dogs trying to lick you to death are going to cause you harm, whatever. Comments like that INFURIATE me and I couldn't imagine having a Pit and dealing with it. I'd be in and out of jail for assault and battery every 2 weeks lol Your pup is adorable, don't let ignorant fools get to you.
A pitbull mouth? Riiigghhht...Your dogs are so vicious -_-... viciously cute anyway lol.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
You'll get used to it.

But then you'll also get great comments from people who love the bullies and you'll probably change a few mind along the way too. People who were loving on your dog and then kinda freak when they hear "pit bull" can also learn that "you liked him a minute ago, the dog hasn't changed"

Just train your dog and love him well and he can be a good "pittie" ambassador. (I call all the mixed or unknown breeding pit bull types as "pitties" or "pibbles" to avoid the APBT vs AmStaff vs other bully breed terminology issue)

Be proud of your dog and show him off, I love going out and about with a smiling happy bully

or even when someone decides to put on the fake "tough guy" look :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Poor guy, wonder how they would feel if someone reacted to their child or dog like that. We had a boxer and boston and sometimes would get people telling their children these were mean dogs to stay away. They thought the BT was a miniture pitt, so I can feel for you on some of the reactions these poor dogs get. He looks like a sweetheart!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I've had people do that to me before. Cood and cawwed and awwd over the dog, played with her, loved on her, let her roll all over them.
Heard her breed and literally screamed and ran away.

I just shook my head because that's an ignorant overreaction.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll get used to it.

But then you'll also get great comments from people who love the bullies and you'll probably change a few mind along the way too. People who were loving on your dog and then kinda freak when they hear "pit bull" can also learn that "you liked him a minute ago, the dog hasn't changed"

Just train your dog and love him well and he can be a good "pittie" ambassador. (I call all the mixed or unknown breeding pit bull types as "pitties" or "pibbles" to avoid the APBT vs AmStaff vs other bully breed terminology issue)

Be proud of your dog and show him off, I love going out and about with a smiling happy bully
He definitely gets more compliments than complaints. We walk pretty regularly, several times a day. All the neighborhood kids know him by name and come running when they see him. Even if the older people around don;t like him, It's still nice knowing that there are at least ten kids in town that will grow up with fond memories of my little "pittie".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Poor guy, wonder how they would feel if someone reacted to their child or dog like that. We had a boxer and boston and sometimes would get people telling their children these were mean dogs to stay away. They thought the BT was a miniture pitt, so I can feel for you on some of the reactions these poor dogs get. He looks like a sweetheart!
I have honestly never heard of people being scared of BTs until I came to this forum. The cure for cancer seems closer than the cure for ignorance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had people do that to me before. Cood and cawwed and awwd over the dog, played with her, loved on her, let her roll all over them.
Heard her breed and literally screamed and ran away.

I just shook my head because that's an ignorant overreaction.
He is more well behaved than most of the people around here. By that logic, we should start screaming and running from people passing by. Wouldn't that be a sight?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It may be the places we've been, but we have never really gotten much snobbery or bad reactions towards Charlotte. Just about everyone who has met her has loved her. We've had people try to sound "informed" about Pit Bulls, and rattle off how they have "locking jaws" as a fact, and back it up with "but they can't help it" while petting her, but that's about as negative a response as we've gotten with her.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It may be the places we've been, but we have never really gotten much snobbery or bad reactions towards Charlotte. Just about everyone who has met her has loved her. We've had people try to sound "informed" about Pit Bulls, and rattle off how they have "locking jaws" as a fact, and back it up with "but they can't help it" while petting her, but that's about as negative a response as we've gotten with her.
Ahh, lock-jaw. I try to tell people that it's a myth, but no one ever listens. Sometimes you just have to choose your battles though, right?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I was walking Vader by a home for the elderly once. and a elderly lady stopped and asked to pet him. And thank god Vader was tired out from his walk so he sat down and gave her the big puppy dog eyes and licked her hand. and she asked what kind of dog he was. I told her he was a pitbull. and she flinched slightly said really I heard they are suppose to be mean, and he didnt look mean. I think I said Vader is really sweet or something like that. she went back and pet him some more and smiled at me . She said he is the most beautiful dog she has ever seen and she would love to own one. I had to pry away from her because she would have pet him all day long. :) I smiled all the way back home. because we changed one persons mind! Out of all the people that hate on them , if you can change one persons mind its a good feeling :)

My suggestion if you walk your boy try putting a bright colored bandana or collar on him. It makes them less initially intimidating for people. If it bothers you. It bugs me when someone doesn't like my dog it shouldn't but it gets under your skin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was walking Vader by a home for the elderly once. and a elderly lady stopped and asked to pet him. And thank god Vader was tired out from his walk so he sat down and gave her the big puppy dog eyes and licked her hand. and she asked what kind of dog he was. I told her he was a pitbull. and she flinched slightly said really I heard they are suppose to be mean, and he didnt look mean. I think I said Vader is really sweet or something like that. she went back and pet him some more and smiled at me . She said he is the most beautiful dog she has ever seen and she would love to own one. I had to pry away from her because she would have pet him all day long. :) I smiled all the way back home. because we changed one persons mind! Out of all the people that hate on them , if you can change one persons mind its a good feeling :)

My suggestion if you walk your boy try putting a bright colored bandana or collar on him. It makes them less initially intimidating for people. If it bothers you. It bugs me when someone doesn't like my dog it shouldn't but it gets under your skin.
That story made me smile :) I will definitely try a bright bandana tomorrow and see what happens. It bothers me when people don't like my pets. Especially when they don't know them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
In my area its expected. Pitbulls are the most awful dog in the world. So if you have one or a cross around here - people suck it up and dont admit it. Or tell. They keep the pride they have in owning a Pit or part Pit to only those who will not carry on like a pork chop when they find out.

The first person I asked why they did that as I dont have any opinion on any dog really, if its raised well, shell be fine as far as Im concerned (of course, be smart about it) they replied 'I dont want to see the wrong person find out and my dog gets taken away because if it'.

Maybe as much it sucks - just dont tell anyone. It REALLY sucks when people dont like my pets when they dont know them - so in my books they can bite my bum and know nothing about them as well :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I tell people. Pits are not illegal in my area, and all of my fosters have been wonderful dogs (at least with people). When people ask, I tell them proudly. Usually because they are so friendly, people will comment on how they thought pits were supposed to be vicious, and then I tell them that the dog is a rescue to top it off, and they're even more amazed. There are people who still cross the street when they see your dog, and all sorts of other things, but plenty of other people also change their minds too :) I advocate pits every chance I get!

·
Registered
17,901 Posts

People LOVE LOVE LOVE my Boston and think she's the cutest thing on earth. Unfortunately, half the people who do so, do so because they *really think* she's a miniature pit. Which is weird, because she's a really extreme faced BT, and last I heard pits have noses.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People LOVE LOVE LOVE my Boston and think she's the cutest thing on earth. Unfortunately, half the people who do so, do so because they *really think* she's a miniature pit. Which is weird, because she's a really extreme faced BT, and last I heard pits have noses.
Are there even adult pits the size of bug?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts