Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else here have issues with their fur babies nylabones staying hairy! when those bones start to wear they pick up a whole lotta hair, and i havent really found a way to successfully "de-hair" them!

its time for new nylabones soon, but trying to clean these up to get them to last a little bit longer.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
does anyone else here have issues with their fur babies nylabones staying hairy! when those bones start to wear they pick up a whole lotta hair, and i havent really found a way to successfully "de-hair" them!

its time for new nylabones soon, but trying to clean these up to get them to last a little bit longer.
I usually spray them at high power with the hose, or run them through the dishwasher.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I gave up on Nylabones - for that reason and Bella doesn't like them after they get all sharp and gnawed on. Deer antlers are way better IMO.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Are Nylabones safe? You hear so many reports of them impacting/fracturing dogs teeth- is that just user error (like not getting the correct size for your dog)??? I've always wanted one for Ruby as the cost seems to justify the long term use of the product (bully sticks and antlers around here are super expensive).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
You hear so many reports of them impacting/fracturing dogs teeth
really? I know some "natural" bones people have had problems with but theyre usually the super strong load bearing bones like the femur. I've never had a problem with nylabones and Ive used them for almost 10 years now. Both assistance dog organizations I've fostered with use them.

I've actually tried to chew on them with my teeth, and I can make little dents. I dont think the nylon is so strong that it would chip teeth, though I'm sure its happened. there is a risk with all toys, but I will say that nylabones are the ONLY toy I will leave in my dogs crate unattended.

·
Banned
96 Posts
really? I know some "natural" bones people have had problems with but theyre usually the super strong load bearing bones like the femur. I've never had a problem with nylabones and Ive used them for almost 10 years now. Both assistance dog organizations I've fostered with use them.

I've actually tried to chew on them with my teeth, and I can make little dents. I dont think the nylon is so strong that it would chip teeth, though I'm sure its happened. there is a risk with all toys, but I will say that nylabones are the ONLY toy I will leave in my dogs crate unattended.
I watched a local news report of this woman that gave her dog Nylabones consistently throughout its life and it had to have a bunch of teeth removed because there was so much damage.. but who knows what else she was giving her dogs. I believe there was also a specific product (long since recalled) that was doing the damage... I'll do some research and if I find it I'll post it up here.
I've always wanted to try a Nylabones but that report got me scared! LoL
What about the little nylon pieces they ingest?? Never caused an issue? My husbands scared-- he's like "that's not natural" lol

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I watched a local news report of this woman that gave her dog Nylabones consistently throughout its life and it had to have a bunch of teeth removed because there was so much damage.. but who knows what else she was giving her dogs. I believe there was also a specific product (long since recalled) that was doing the damage... I'll do some research and if I find it I'll post it up here.
I've always wanted to try a Nylabones but that report got me scared! LoL
What about the little nylon pieces they ingest?? Never caused an issue? My husbands scared-- he's like "that's not natural" lol
They pass right through, nylon is about the most inert substance that there is.

Are you thinking of greenies?

EDIT: found this response on my other forum. It sums it up pretty well.

We love them here. I make sure to get the ones that say "for powerful chewers" and they last forever. They don't splinter and pieces can't break off, which is nice. They're one of the only things I feel safe leaving my dogs with.

If you have a power chewer, they run a risk of breaking teeth on whatever they chew, more because of the nature of how they chew than what it is. It's sort of a matter of looking for less likely things, because you obviously can't give a power chewer soft things, as they don't last (and dog would eat it, not just chew on it). So it becomes more about higher risk vs. lower risk, as the risk is never negated. For example, marrow bones are MUCH more likely to break teeth than nylabones, as they have absolutely no give at all, whereas the nylabones have a little.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
http://www.purelypets.com/healthalert/nylabonewarning.htm
It's not about teeth fracturing but it is about death- I know this is the exception and not the rule but still kind of scary...
I knew about the greenies too, I never feed Ruby those either.
didnt read the whole thing, but i do NOT use and do NOT reccomend the flexible/ plaque attacker/ puppy/ gumabone ones. The ONLY ones I use are the hard, for "powerful" chewers nylabones, for that exact reason.

As an example:

Yes to the durachew/ for powerful chewers http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Dura-Wishbone-Original-Flavor/dp/B0010P0YSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1346723406&sr=1-1

NO to all three of these types: http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Small-Chews-Petite-Pounds/dp/B00063KNPS/ref=sr_1_11?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1346723406&sr=1-11

·
Banned
96 Posts
didnt read the whole thing, but i do NOT use and do NOT reccomend the flexible/ plaque attacker/ puppy/ gumabone ones. The ONLY ones I use are the hard, for "powerful" chewers nylabones, for that exact reason.

As an example:

Yes to the durachew/ for powerful chewers http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Dura-Wishbone-Original-Flavor/dp/B0010P0YSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1346723406&sr=1-1

NO to all three of these types: http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Small-Chews-Petite-Pounds/dp/B00063KNPS/ref=sr_1_11?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1346723406&sr=1-11
Ok great! I'm going to look into these ones!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i personally love nylabones for MY dogs.
i get the biggest size they make for my 60lb dogs
and there teeth are not damaged, they look great. and they do not break off large pieces of the nylabone because i get the gigantic sized ones.

its about knowing your dog and supervision. they are safer than raw hides and honestly feel they are safer than those smoked knuckles, etc. and hooves... and pig ears...

heck i love nylabones :)

·
Banned
96 Posts
i personally love nylabones for MY dogs.
i get the biggest size they make for my 60lb dogs
and there teeth are not damaged, they look great. and they do not break off large pieces of the nylabone because i get the gigantic sized ones.

its about knowing your dog and supervision. they are safer than raw hides and honestly feel they are safer than those smoked knuckles, etc. and hooves... and pig ears...

heck i love nylabones :)
I have only ever used frozen chicken quarters and bully sticks for her teeth. I don't ever use rawhide, heavy bones (especially cooked ones), or pig ears. I think I'm going to try out a Nylabones and I will definitely post about the ones Im interested in!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Not based on any facts or problems, I didn't like nylabones, b/c they looked like a problem waiting to happen with my Lab mix. I switched to hard rubber bones. He massages his jaws or rips off tiny pieces... and swallows. I imagine a much larger dog could chomp off chunks that might choke...

·
Banned
96 Posts
Not based on any facts or problems, I didn't like nylabones, b/c they looked like a problem waiting to happen with my Lab mix. I switched to hard rubber bones. He massages his jaws or rips off tiny pieces... and swallows. I imagine a much larger dog could chomp off chunks that might choke...
Isn't that basically the same thing as a Nylabone?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The Nylabones that I've seen were hard and didn't give as much as the hard rubber... I'm more concerned about fractured teeth...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts