Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 9 cats, so I know all about hairballs... But dogs with hairballs?

Tori, my GSD/Aussie mix has been hacking --not vomiting, just hacking, as though she's got some hair in there that is gagging her. She's the type of dog that just licks and licks and licks, and sheds and sheds in abundant amounts. It's nothing life-threatening, and we're planning on a vet visit to try to determine why the heck she is gagging, but have you ever heard of this? And are there any products out there that can help with this?

I'm suspecting the problem is in her coat itself. I've noticed that her skin is rather dry and flaky, so I suspect that she doesn't have the healthiest coat. Now, since I've started feeding her Knox Nutrajoint (which is actually a gelatin bone supplement for people but which was approved by our vet) and eating Purina One, we've seen less of this and in totality she has just seemed to perk up. BUT she still does it every once in a while. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, the problem with that is the fact that we have another dog and Bordetella is highly contagious. Thus, Bambi (a one-year-old Lab/GSD mix) would probably have it too and BOTH dogs are vaccinated.

We also just brought a puppy into the household who died one week ago due to either distemper or liver shunt -on part of the breeder- who would have been VERY susceptible to bordetella but who never coughed a single time. And Tori's had this for, what? Three or four months now?

No, I don't believe it's kennel cough. There's no eye discharge, no nose discharge; just hacking a couple times a day like there's something in her throat... not a wheezy cough, but rather a gagging sound. I don't know how to explain it. o_O

EDIT: Also, I don't know if cats can get bordetella from dogs, but our cats are all in the household with our dogs and none of them are experiencing anything like that either... so... I don't know.

·
Banned
221 Posts
The fact that you have another dog who is healthy and its been going on for 3 or 4 months greatly decreases the chances it's bordetella.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I just hope it's the hairball thing. That's easily fixable, though I thought only cats got hairballs! LOL. Tori just licks all the time, and one time when she coughed, she coughed up a small piece of straw... ew. I swear, she's more like a cat than a dog... super independent, obsessively clean.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've never heard of dogs having any hairball problems either.
Could she possibly have a splinter of a bone stuck some where?
I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck at the Vet!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm, I hope she doesn't have something stuck in there... if so, it's been stuck for several months. Eek!

She's only hacked once today as far as I know; I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that she was always walked with a regular collar as a younger dog and pulled until she was rasping for breath. We didn't get a harness until several months ago, and it's helped as far as that is concerned. But I wonder if it did something to her...??

Anyway, I hope -whenever we are able to get to the vet's- that they don't have any bad news.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've also wondered at times if my dog had some hairballs from licking himself. At least several times a week he will hack once or twice, almost like trying to clear throat, but nothing comes up and then seems fine. He is usually more likely to do it if he's been licking his leg for awhile, which is his almost his daily habit, especially after eating likes to lick himself. No he doesn't have allergies.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pai
Re: Hairball blockage?

If it's hairballs, here's a simple recipe to treat it.
Just what I've been looking for, Pai! Thanks for finding it for me!

lillie20
Re: Hairball blockage?

I've also wondered at times if my dog had some hairballs from licking himself. At least several times a week he will hack once or twice, almost like trying to clear throat, but nothing comes up and then seems fine. He is usually more likely to do it if he's been licking his leg for awhile, which is his almost his daily habit, especially after eating likes to lick himself. No he doesn't have allergies.
That is exactly what Tori does... how strange! And she as well does it usually after licking her legs for a long time. Well, I'll just have to try that recipe and see if it clears it up! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts