Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Australian Shepherd has lived in California with some family for about two years now. He is from a Working Aussie breeder in Alaska, and has really good health. He never really had hair loss before, so I checked for fleas, ticks, parasites, and there are none that I can visibly notice. He keeps itching, and his hair is getting thinner. I was hoping time would get it to grow back, but now his skin is getting rubbed raw. The veterinarian has been advising using Bactine, doing it every hour. But it seems to not help with the itching.
Is there anything, essential oils or the like, that could help? And how long until I start seeing a difference?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You need to find the source of the itching. Probably an allergy. Check very well for fleas. Even one flea bite can cause excessive itching and hair loss if the dog is allergic to flea bites. Has the dogs food changed in the last 6 months? If not, it needs to! Dog can develop a food allergy when they eat the same food over and over. Every 3 months (at least) is the recommended time to rotate foods to prevent this. Both protein and carb ingredients should be changed. Grain free is ideal. No topicals are going to fix or alleviate an allergy issue. Keep the dog from scratching or chewing as they will make things worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts