Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday things with Caeda were pretty cool, and I just wanted to share with some people who would understand. I'm proud of her for this stuff. None of it is huge, she didn't ace a Schutzhund event, or get AKC ribbons, but to me it was just as good!

She came and gently licked us first thing in the morning, no pouncing, just sweetness. Not a first, but awesome!

We had a guest later on in the day, yeah, she was kind of rude at the beginning, she jumped up once or twice, not hard enough to push anybody over (which is an improvement, she used to jump constantly and push towards the person). She calmed down and just went looking for petting after about 5 minutes (THAT is fast for her!!!!). When he was leaving he asked how old she was, we told him about 15 months, his words "wow, she's really calm! for her age I expected way worse". YEAH!!!

The major victories came on the walk, she barely pulled at all, she was on a flexi, but she rarely put any pressure on it, very conscious of her boundaries, and she checked in with us a ton! She even waited when we had to cross a road and crossed with us, no fight! She had a bunch of fun and got REALLY dirty.

The big awesomeness was when we got home. When she gets this dirty we go straight into the bathroom (she usually resists), I get her in the tub (she's very reluctant) and I spray her legs and belly off (she usually tries to get out). Last night she walked straight into the bathroom, let me take her collar off, hopped in the tub and waited for me....then stood patiently while I sprayed her off (even holding her front paws up when I sprayed each one!). She gave me kisses any time I leaned close. I didn't train any of this, its just been part of the routine for these big walks, SO cool!

We took her out on a short leash for her bedtime bathroom trip, no pulling, not at all, on the short leash there's usually some issues with this....NONE last night.

Anyway, I'm so proud of her for this stuff yesterday, I don't know if it'll keep up, but it was cool. Wanted to share with those who would understand.

Anybody else have any of these little victories they want to share?

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's awesome, and I know the feeling. Jax is approaching 12 months old, and I've had him now for 5 months, and he's hardly the same dog. He wasn't a bad dog, and knew some basic commands, but just so much different now not only from growing up a little but just from basic training and such routine things like you mention. It is a pretty cool feeling when you realize just how much they've caught on to certain things.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My newest dog is ten years old (see my siggie) so she hasn't needed much training, but watching her adjust from racer, breeding dog, to house pet has been fun. She had a good life before and was never mistreated at all, and it shows. She's so happy and balanced. This is what makes Greyhounds such wonderful dogs to adopt! Very rarely do they have any issues. Today she actually had her first accident (I've had her over a month). She ate breakfast very fast, and I didn't catch her and put her out in time. My fault entirely. I just took her crate away, so her being loose right after eating is new (normally they eat in their kennels, then go straight from the crate to outside, THEN loose in the house after that, but since she's so good, I broke down her crate and packed it away, so new routine to learn!). I am very proud of how good she is and how well she's acclimated to being a pet, in a house with cats, a small child, and multiple other breed dogs.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yay Caeda! Isn't it nice when training pays off?

Kabota's getting more and more responsive as time goes on. Little stuff, like looking when he hears his name. Considering how shut down he was when we got him, things like that are an achievement.

Caeda reminds me of my old dog, Muggsy. He was about 5 handfuls when he was young, but he aged into the perfect companion, other than the DA.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sigh, no awesomeness here to share but wanted to say: WOW! that is awesome! What a good girl :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
WTG Caeda!

This week it's like a flip was switched for Hamilton. When he needs to go pee -- he goes and stands by the back door! :O He is also going 3-4 hours between needing to go out. We've been going out at least once an hour for almost three months.

He's stopped his 8pm psychopupzoomies. He starts to wind down, and by 9 is sleeping on one of us.

Last night he slept in his crate with the door shut for the first time! I was more bothered by this than he was (we've had the crate open in a pen since we got him). He didn't make a peep all night!

·
Registered
180 Posts
So there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Amazing.
Loki has progressed in his god greeting today ... we went for a puppy play at a friends house ... first he started jumping and excited, he was told to sit and he did! right away! NEVER has he done this. I am so excited!

Congratulations to you both and thank you for confirming there is hope!

·
Registered
891 Posts
It's so great when you can see your training work paying off. I've been working with Molly to stop trying to engage the cats in play. I tell her to "leave it" & then re-direct her to the nearest toy. Yesterday, she was getting in the cat's face & I told her to "leave it." She stopped, looked at me, looked at her toy box and bounded over to it to get a toy. She basically redirected herself. It totally cracked me up.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love hearing the awesome small victories. I used to be SO stressed trying to train Caeda, especially watching and hearing about some of the great dog sports out there, and events. So much "What am I doing wrong!". Now that I've backed off I've really started celebrating them and I'm so much happier with training (and it is going so much better).
Can't help but be proud of her! I think we all need to remember to celebrate the little stuff, sometimes it results in some awesome behaviours when it all gets put together, especially cool when the dog does it themselves! :D

I never imagined a year ago that I'd have such a smooth day with her!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oooo ooo ooo, I've got one now! Lol Just woke up a few minutes back (nooo, I don't jump to get on here to share, but I do get on the computer for a few while Jax is outside lol) and it was the second straight night that I didn't close my room off. Since I started having him sleep in my room to avoid being crated all night (which for those that haven't read elsewhere, he lost his freedom to roam the kitchen when he destroyed the vinyl floors 2 months back), I've kept my room closed off. The bathroom passes through to the other bedroom, which he once had a favorite piss spot that I didn't discover right away (the legs of the computer chair that Turbo, the cat, claims as his own) and of course the bedroom door right by the stairs heading down. I'd close the bathroom door and gate the bedroom door so the cat could still come and go. The past 2 nights I've not closed either off, and Jax hasn't seemed to have left the room. Saturday night he spent the entire night in bed at my legs, and this past night he did get out of bed and go to his blanket in the floor, but doesn't appear to have left the room. He's caught on :) He may just eventually regain his freedom in the kitchen during the day while I'm at work, but we still have a little further to go.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly is doing well with some dogs, the other day she walked past a dog without barking, then one day a staffy came onto the green, she was fine even when the dog barked at her, also the other day a Rottie came round the corner she was fine again, i just told her let's go and walked the other way, and today a collie cross came over and said hello and she was fine again, none of these dogs got in her face though she hates that, i keep her on a long lead, so yeah the collie cross owner should of called his dog back but he just walked further away nice, so maybe she is learning that not all dogs want to eat her, she is not over the barking yet though, treats hopefully will help her learn that dogs mean good things.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
....Anyway, I'm so proud of her for this stuff yesterday, I don't know if it'll keep up, but it was cool. Wanted to share with those who would understand....
Nothing to share (don't want to start because once i do i won't stop. lol) but did want to congratulate you on your girl's progress. Isn't it a good feeling to see them come along. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Congrats! (I too have nothing to share - my girls are having a spat over nothing right now) I hope this continues for you!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe ... I just saw this! These are great accomplishments ... and I think your little girl is growing up ... into a fine young lady! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts