Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pal, a sweet, 11-year old golden, had to be put down last night after suffering major internal bleeding due to some hemangiosarcomas the doc at the vet's hospital found last night. She yelped out in pain at dinner last night, peed her pants and then barfed everywhere. We're suffering here as a family because this dog really did bring us all closer together and enriched our lives with love, daily kisses and just a spirit that words can't really do justice to describe.

We miss her terribly and, as this is still raw, I feel like I want to ask questions to the community about what we could have done, if anything, to have prevented this. The doc said these things are really hard to see coming unless preemptive ultrasounds or special blood tests are done regularly, which doesn't really make us feel better because I naturally feel like we were the worst companions to her (piper) for not knowing more and getting her in to have ultrasounds earlier. We just didn't know. She was in the vet's just last month for a senior exam and everything seemed okay, though she did seem more lethargic than usual. In the last 3 days or so, everything has gone downhill. She was a happy, peppy older gal all last week, even running around and just in the last couple of days her belly seemed to grow and we know now it was distended with fluid.

I just want to share my story I guess and let other people know that I found a lot of useful advice here, but also would love to hear from others on the subject. Good doggies shouldn't have to die like this. She was so healthy and happy and gave so much love (and received it too!). Anyways, I'm a little sad as I write this. I just miss Piper a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
I think the best thing you could do in the future is educate yourself on some common problems and watch carefully for symptoms. Just plain knowing the symptoms of a dog in pain or sickly is all you really needed to know. I doubt many people would do regular screenings just to be sure on an otherwise healthy dog. It's just more about catching it as early as possible to see if there are more options when it comes to helping her.

You did the best thing you could for her in the end, don't beat yourself up about it. It's always so hard to lose a member of the family, and it sounds like she lived her life just like one.
*Virtual Support*

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the kind words. We loved/love this doggie. It's hard to use the past tense right now. Gah.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I don't think you could've done anything differently. Hemangio is very sneaky and comes on very quickly, unfortunately. I have not yet lost a dog to it, but a few friends around me (in the PWD community) have, and it's frighteningly fast, just as you describe.

Try to remember her happy times, and how she brought you all closer together. ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I don't think you could've done anything differently. Hemangio is very sneaky and comes on very quickly, unfortunately. I have not yet lost a dog to it, but a few friends around me (in the PWD community) have, and it's frighteningly fast, just as you describe.

Try to remember her happy times, and how she brought you all closer together. ((((hugs))))
Thank you for the kind words. I just miss her right now. Wish I could take back all the moments where I was working or playing vidoegames or doing something else and just have spent more time scratching her tummy. She loved it when we scratched her tummy when she was lying on her back.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. We loved/love this doggie. It's hard to use the past tense right now. Gah.
No need to use the past tense in that case. You love her, and always will, and eventually it'll be more happy memories than pain. You did the best you could for her in the end, you didn't see it coming, you took her in for a senior exam and she came through that fine. When she was with you you gave her tons of love, remembering that, and how much she enriched your family's lives is an excellent tribute to her memory. I am so sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard. I lost my childhood Golden Retriever when I was about 13yrs old. She was 10. It was very hard. I am 23 now and still miss her greatly and remember her with fond memories.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope memories of Piper will make you smile, when it's not so raw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts