Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the night of July 27th, Luke begins to do this hacking cough. Sort of like if you cough and try to vomit something out; on the 28th he does vomit out small, white liquid/foam. But not a lot and not every time he coughs. He's done this before, where he'll lick our carpet, get a hairball, and hack it up.

So we were just waiting for it to come up. Well on the 29th, he still was doing it and so we took him to the Emergency Vet because our vet isn't open on Sundays. The doctor there said he could be coughing from this/that (gave us a whole list--I have it if you want me to type it up) and gave him two injections. One was for anti-nausea and the other for anti-cough. He says it sounds like a dry cough and thankfully was able to see Luke coughing because at first we were explaining it and Luke was okay. Then he coughed and the vet could see how he was doing it.

Besides the injections, he said if he's still doing it by Tuesday (or today) to take him to our vet. We will, but my question to you all is...what do you think it could be? It's not kennel cough as he hasn't been in a kennel.

What do you think it could be? :/

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
It almost sounds to me as if Luke has something caught in his throat?

I had a rescue dog once who someone ((person I gave her to) gave a cooked bone to ... (not smart!) ... and she was coughing for over a month until whatever was stuck finally came out. They did not take her to a vet ... not very responsible either IMO.

Gosh ... I hope the little guy is going to be OK.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/kennel-cough-in-dogs

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Abbylynn--thank you for answering! It does sound as if Luke has something in his throat, but when the vet looked he couldn't see anything. He felt all around Luke's body too and could just tell it was a dry cough and that he seemed nauseated. We may call for an appointment on Wednesday because Tuesdays are days where it's walk-ins only and it's first comes first serves. So Wednesday would be a good day to do it.

Earlier today he was coughing but not right now, but he wasn't spitting out anything. Personally I think it's a huge hairball, but I hope it's not something else. That was an interesting article, thank you. I didn't know dogs could get kennel cough even though they weren't in a kennel. I was looking in a kennel the other day because Luke will have to stay in one soon, but none of the dogs had kennel cough. You don't think that maybe one had early symptoms and as we walked by, got it on us and transferred to Luke? Or could the symptoms be hidden because Luke and I saw a dog a week earlier that had a cough, but the owner said it was gone.

Great. Now I feel horrible if it was those two things.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oweee! Kennel cough is contagious for months! Maybe I would take him to the vet as a walk-in patient? I have no clue if he could get it from where you were as you say the dogs didn't seem ill. I just know it can be transferred from clothing as well as shoes. I had to step in bleach when Lucy was quarantined with it at the animal hospital. :/

A hairball would be the better of the two evils. :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Was Kennel cough one of the things the e-vet thought it could be?

It certainly sounds like it may be KC. But I can not see nor hear him so it is just a rough guess.

Yeah you can pick KC anywhere an infected dog has been. Kira picked it up at a show, she seemed to do fine on meds but all of a sudden it turned into pnuemonia in one lung, so I be cautious of that. Kira was a very sick girl for a while.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, sorry I didn't get back to you. After I talked to you, Abbylynn, Luke's cough basically went away. It did crop up today but only because the lawn mowers were out and he goes crazy when they come. I think he was stressed and excited at the same time and coughed up a big (sorry disguising here) white/foamy saliva. The big hacking cough seemed to stop after that and little did crop up. But he has yet to cough after that (maybe stopped around noon).

Choas--they asked the question, but since Luke has never been to a kennel, they wrote it off. The vet did say he could see Luke was nauseous so he gave him a needle for that (I forget what it's called, but I have it written down if you like to see it). We were in two kennels to see which one Luke would be better suited in, in case we went on vacation. But none of the dogs there had kennel cough. I'm sorry Kira got it; I hope she's doing well now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts