Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the help of my GoPro camera!

Anywyas... this has been the great mystery going on for months now... I absolutely could not keep Piper inside the fence. I went over the entire fence looking for loose spots... there were a couple possibilities so I fixed all those, and yet she still continued to get out. She would not do it while I was there, only after I left. So then I tried strapping the camera to her, and she wouldn't do it with the camera on.... I tried every scenario, leaving, etc... and she wouldn't do it. Then soon as the camera came off, she was out again. So it's had me stumped for a couple of months now

So today I decided to give it a shot again..... sure enough, she finally caved and revealed her secrets.... bwahahahahah

The camera

Video

Yup.... not what I would have imagined either, lol. I thought for sure she had to be jumping it or something.... I never would have thought she'd fit through the little squares. Guess I was wrong!

Piper isn't a huge dog, but she's still not exactly tiny either.... still 54 lbs. Really surprised she fit through there

For a better perspective of how big the opening was.... this is the one she went out of, compared to my hand

So I fixed the fence in every spot that had the wider squares like this part had, which wasn't very much (the rest of the fence around the yard is a different brand and the squares are quite a bit smaller). I used the rabbit fencing that I had used to make their little playpen with out in the front yard when I first got them... forgot I still had it laying around after I tore it down in the spring last year. Turned her loose again and hung around the house for awhile... still there. So then I left for a couple of hours, come home, and everybody was still accounted for. Excellent!! Now to see how long it lasts.... lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, she's a determined girl. Did I see a hot wire on that fence?

I think it was funny, how she kept looking back once she started trying to go through the fence. I enjoyed Piper Cam

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, she's a determined girl. Did I see a hot wire on that fence?

I think it was funny, how she kept looking back once she started trying to go through the fence. I enjoyed Piper Cam
There used to be.... it hasn't worked in quite awhile, but some of the fence is still up there. It got all tore up over the summer trimming the fence line with the weedeater.... I should have just gone and gotten some round up instead, lol

And yea, she's most definitely bound and determined to get where she wants to go!! That's why I say... lets see how long this lasts before she figures something else out, lol

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Aside from catching her in the act, that was cool to watch. Kinda makes me want to put doggie cams on my dogs.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I think it was cool being at the dogs height. If you get into the video enough .... you can imagine what it is like being the dog. :) She must be able to squeeze herself flat like a mouse! Lol! :) What was that thing they were fighting over ... it could be my glasses, but it looked like a shoe sole ..... or was it a bone?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Oh god whatever it was, I love how she was hiding in the little house peeking around the corner with it. LOL

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh god whatever it was, I love how she was hiding in the little house peeking around the corner with it. LOL
Yes ... me too ... and how she kept looking around to see if anyone was looking before she made the great escape! Lol! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
great video! I love how the other doggie tries to engage piper in play so she will not run away! And Piper is always on the lookout and trying to not get caught. What a rascal!! haha

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was cool being at the dogs height. If you get into the video enough .... you can imagine what it is like being the dog. :) She must be able to squeeze herself flat like a mouse! Lol! :) What was that thing they were fighting over ... it could be my glasses, but it looked like a shoe sole ..... or was it a bone?
LOL it was indeed the sole of a shoe.... no idea where they found it at. Sometimes they dig up some weird stuff out in the yard... gotta walk through there every couple days and make sure there's nothing they shouldn't be chewing on

Your property is amazing...adopt me?
Hahah thanks!! I LOVE where I live, but I don't own it...I rent. I don't want to buy anything until I find a job that isn't so unstable. Still kinda hit the jackpot finding this place though as it's often very hard finding a place to rent that allows dogs period, much less big dogs and 3 of them at that (although I only had Piggy when I moved in). Craigslist FTW!! And you'd really hate me if I told you what I pay in rent....

Here's a few more pics of the yard. It's about 2 acres in the back and 1 acre in the front

Front yard when I first moved in

A good chunk of the back before fencing it in (the whole area isn't mine... kind of a weird property line, but a good chunk of it)

Panorama pics.... kinda hard to see but you get the idea

Front

Back... after we put the fence up

Then these were right after we finished putting up the fence

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Can also get a pretty good view of it in this video

great video! I love how the other doggie tries to engage piper in play so she will not run away! And Piper is always on the lookout and trying to not get caught. What a rascal!! haha
Hahaha yea she was cracking me up looking around before each escape attempt, and then whimpering every time she couldn't get out :pound::pound:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am out in the middle of nowhere ... but I like your out in the middle of nowhere better! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am out in the middle of nowhere ... but I like your out in the middle of nowhere better! :)
Ohhh yes it's most definitely out in the middle of nowhere, LOL. There's no cell phone service anywhere around my house (any provider, though Verizon you can sometimes get a weak signal if you go out in the yard... and that's still a 'sometimes', lol). I literally have to drive 10 miles down the road before I start get get any cell service. It's about a 30 minute drive to get to the closest town that actually has stores and restaurants and whatnot, lol. Definitely out in the boonies!! I absolutely love it though and wouldn't have it any other way. I grew up on a farm up in IL when I was a kid, then moved to south Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area)... MAJOR culture shock, then moved up by Atlanta... another big city. Never again will I live in or around a big city....ever. This is the only place I want to be.... no city life for me :)

I guess this is also prob why I have 653,000 miles combined on both of my vehicles, hahahah

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lol! It's a wonder the vehicles are still running! I do have to travel 35 minutes to do weekly grocery shopping ... but at least I still have cell phone service. :) There are however a couple little burgs of a store and a gas station about 10 minutes away. The rest is good old country! Just had to post a bit of my country! Lol! ..... Still like yours better!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol! It's a wonder the vehicles are still running! I do have to travel 35 minutes to do weekly grocery shopping ... but at least I still have cell phone service. :) There are however a couple little burgs of a store and a gas station about 10 minutes away. The rest is good old country! Just had to post a bit of my country! Lol! ..... Still like yours better!
Looks like a beautiful area you live in as well!! Anything away from the city is A-OK in my books, hehe

And yea both vehicles still run great.... the body of the car is rusting bad though (Illinois car), but mechanically it's solid. I'm a mechanic so I take good care of them, but they're also both Hondas so they run damn near forever anyways, LOL

423,000 on the Accord and 229,000 on the CBR. Both run like new and are as reliable as any newer car! Here I was leaving my house on a 700 mile drive (each way) heading down to south Florida for my first trackday with the bike

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm moving there o-o

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
The video was great! I said "good pee" when I heard her going, lol, I'm a true dog person. I wondered a couple times if Piper was going to jump on Riley's back to get over. Piggy looks great! You have a great place to rent!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts