Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the record, we already have a vet appointment set up for wednesday. it's just so frustrating to have to wait until then.

her fur is thinning on her chest, behind her ears, on the side of one hock...and a huge red mark in her armpit that just recently popped out.

i'm pretty positive it's not fleas. we've had two fleas in the last year and that was in the summer.

pretty sure it's not food allergies cause she's been on this food for months now. unless it's possible to suddenly develop food allergies. (she's on Premium Edge Healthy Skin and Coat--the salmon one--btw)

i feel so bad for her and the wait till wednesday is gonna be awful! any ideas what might be going on?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Poor thing... :(

Someone on another forum had a VERY itchy dog, I think a cocker spaniel.

She gave her dog actual oatmeal baths, which seemed to help a lot, in between vet visits. If I'm remembering correctly, she filled up the bathtub with warm water and filled a couple old socks with actual oatmeal - let the oatmeal-filled socks soak in the water with the dog. No soap involved, just soothing oatmeal.

It's worth a shot, if anything it'll make her smell like a yummy breakfast food. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have you tried benadryl? That usually helps. The dosage for dogs is 1mg per pound two to three times a day. Hydrocortisone spray helps as well. They sell it at most pet supply stores and it is .5% hydrocotisone, but you can get it from the drug store that is 1% hydrocotisone and it is also safe for dogs. I had a dog years ago that was allergic to fleas. All it took was one bite to send her into a scratching fit. She would scratch until she was bloody and I used benedryl and hydocortisone spray and she got a shot of vetalog (a steroid of some sort) every 3-4 months to help with her scratching with lots of success.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like an inhalation allergy to mold, mildew, or grass pollen.

I agree with the previous poster---try Benedryl 1mg per pound, 3x a day, while you're waiting to see your veterinarian.

It should help with the itching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts