Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im using 'Drools' dog food now for a while and it has given me no problems.
here is the link : http://drools.in/
Can sm1 tell me will it help my rottweiler who is 3 months old to grow fast??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Why do you want him to grow fast? That can lead to joint issues among other things...

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Why do you want him to grow fast? That can lead to joint issues among other things...
Yeah exactly, you don't want your dog to grow fast.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Based on the ingredients I would get off that food.
Definitely. Nasty food. I'm extra wary of unnamed ingredients like "animal fats" as that can be from euthanized shelter animals or who knows what.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely. Nasty food. I'm extra wary of unnamed ingredients like "animal fats" as that can be from euthanized shelter animals or who knows what.
Omg,plz ..can u explain a bit more? what si the problem with animal fats anyway?In my country the most common and cheap meat is broiler chicken.So animal fat must be chicken fat or something.. Even if its there any big issues"?? also, is there any other things i should chekc while i buy a dog food?? I took it coz i saw that the 1st 2 ingredients was chicken and eggs :p .And for joint issues , to prevent it I am giving him calcium suppliments 8 ml daily.He is 3 months now and his paw size is really great.(Check my avatar).

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would give this website a browse. It has reviews of foods and many articles on what to look for in a good dog food. Some of the reviews might not be relevant to you because they are brands that might not be available in India, but you'll just have to look and see. :) http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

As concisely as I can put it though, I look for a food with at least two meat meals as the first ingredients (these are concentrates, so they are actually more meat than fresh meats, since the water is removed before they are weighed), then I try to avoid foods that contain corn, wheat or soy (many dogs are allergic to these things and they are low-quality fillers) and ideally ones that don't contain any grains at all, but that is a personal choice. I also don't like to see menodione or artificial coloring. That's pretty much how I choose a food, myself.

Can you list the ingredients for the Drools food you are feeding? I can't seem to find an ingredients list for this food, probably because it appears to only be available in India, while I'm in the US.

Also, calcium does not help the joints, and I'm not certain on this, because I own a small breed, but I'm pretty sure large breed dogs should be getting LESS calcium while they are growing, not more, because it allows their bones to grow slow and steady. Quick growth is NOT GOOD and should be avoided.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Omg,plz ..can u explain a bit more? what si the problem with animal fats anyway?In my country the most common and cheap meat is broiler chicken.So animal fat must be chicken fat or something.. Even if its there any big issues"?? also, is there any other things i should chekc while i buy a dog food?? I took it coz i saw that the 1st 2 ingredients was chicken and eggs :p .And for joint issues , to prevent it I am giving him calcium suppliments 8 ml daily.He is 3 months now and his paw size is really great.(Check my avatar).
Stop the calcium! Calcium phosphorus levels shouldn't be messed with in kibble. Glucosamine and condroitin help with joints.

·
Registered
400 Posts
How to consider ingredients..?I mean which is better and bad? plz help..thanks
I'm picky because I feed raw and I want a lot of meat in a kibble. Ig I fed kibble I would probably only feed Orijen, Acana, Santori, Evo, or Canidae Pure. I want as much meat as possible, no grains, wheat, or corn.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The problem with "animal fats" is that it doesn't tell you what kind of animal it came from. It's a red flag that the food is low quality and using questionable ingredients. If it said "beef fat" it would be ok, but since it is unnamed I wouldn't trust it.

As boxerlover876 said, I too avoid corn, wheat, and other grains. Check out the link kafkabeetle posted to find a decent kibble. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I would give this website a browse. It has reviews of foods and many articles on what to look for in a good dog food. Some of the reviews might not be relevant to you because they are brands that might not be available in India, but you'll just have to look and see. :) http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

As concisely as I can put it though, I look for a food with at least two meat meals as the first ingredients (these are concentrates, so they are actually more meat than fresh meats, since the water is removed before they are weighed), then I try to avoid foods that contain corn, wheat or soy (many dogs are allergic to these things and they are low-quality fillers) and ideally ones that don't contain any grains at all, but that is a personal choice. I also don't like to see menodione or artificial coloring. That's pretty much how I choose a food, myself.

Can you list the ingredients for the Drools food you are feeding? I can't seem to find an ingredients list for this food, probably because it appears to only be available in India, while I'm in the US.

Also, calcium does not help the joints, and I'm not certain on this, because I own a small breed, but I'm pretty sure large breed dogs should be getting LESS calcium while they are growing, not more, because it allows their bones to grow slow and steady. Quick growth is NOT GOOD and should be avoided.
Thanks for the response.Here are the ingredients :
RAW MATERIALS : chicken(>30 %),Whole dried eggs,animal fats,fish oil,corn oil,soya refined oil,lecithin,corn,rice,wheat,corn gluten meal,monocalcium phosphate(MCP),calcuim carbonate and salt.
VITAMINS :Vitamin A,vitamin c,stay-c,vitamin d3,vitamin E,vitamin K,thiamin(B1),riboflavin(B2),niacin,pyridoxine(B6),vitamin B12,folic acid,biotin,inositol,choline chloride,beta carotene and cdp.
ORGANIC MINERALS : iron,zinc,manganese,copper,iodine,cobalt and selsenium.
AMINO ACIDS : DL methionine,L Lysine,Threonine,Tryptophan,Arginine,Leucine and Isoleucine
ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS : Omega 3 and omega 6
OTHERS : natural source of glucosamine,antioxidants,natural liver tonic,prebiotics and probiotics,chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine sulphate.

Here is the timetable of my dog's diet :
7.30 am -- > 2 glass milk + drools 100 g + calcium suppliment-OSTOPET(http://www.virbac.in)
2.00 pm -- > 300 g white rice,7 sardine fishes
7.30 pm -- > 2 glass milk, Drools 100 g, sometimes (2 sardine fishes)

Is this ok guyz?? My dog is rottweiler - 3 months old weighing 16 kg

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Stop feeding the rice and the calcium supplement. Too much calcium will ruin his bones/joints, and the rice has no nutritional value. Milk makes many dogs sick. As far as dog food in India goes, that brand doesn't sound too bad. You can feed just that food whit nothing else added. But if you want to add anything else, just add meat, fish, or eggs. Anything else won't do any good.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd stop feeding the dairy - it often upsets a dog's stomach and causes loose stools. You also don't need to feed extra white rice - it's simply a carbohydrate filler (but good for when your dog has loose stools). Your kibble contains corn, wheat, and soy; none of which are good. Look for a kibble with none of these, and preferably a grain free kibble. For a large breed dog, look for a kibble with no more than 28% protein to encourage slow, steady growth. If a large breed puppy grows too fast, it can really cause joint problems later on.

How big are the sardines? Are they fresh or canned (they should be canned in water, if so and rinsed to get some of the salt off)? That seems like a LOT of food!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
That seems like a LOT of food!
Hehe, especially the 300 kg of rice! :p

I doubt there's much of a selection in India, except maybe at expensive import shops. That food at least has chicken and eggs as the first ingredients, so the OP could do a lot worse. But no more rice! The dog food has enough grain as it is.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Like everyone else has mentioned, I'd strongly encourage you stop feeding your dog rice and milk, and stop giving calcium supplements as well. If you can find a better food that does not contain corn or soy at the very least I would recommend it over what you are feeding now, if there are grain-free foods available to you I would try that as well.

If you want to talk about supplementing the diet a little, you can use whole goats milk ( I gave my puppy 1 cup of goats milk a day until 4 months old), but I avoid dairy from cows, the goats milk (in my opinion) is a little easier on the dogs digestive system. You can also give a little bit of goats yogurt, or fat/sugar free plain yogurt with food once in a while, but you don't need to do that every day.

Sardines or other kinds of oily fish and raw eggs are also fine to add into the diet occasionally, or if you want to replace a kibble meal with some raw or raw meaty bones occasionally that would be good also. Keep in mind if you are going to supplement and add these things to the diet, you have to incorporate them into the daily food/calorie intake. 7 sardines is WAY too much in a day on top of everything else you are feeding.. you want to be careful you do not overfeed your puppy because this can cause health issues as well. Figure out how much kibble your puppy should be eating in a day, and if you want to add to the diet make sure you decrease the amount of kibble accordingly so that your puppy isn't getting too many calories/day.

You do not want your puppy to grow too fast, like many others have already mentioned with a large breed puppy this is especially crucial because it can cause bone and joint problems, and the excess calcium can certainly cause some damage as well.

Dog foods are designed to be balanced, by adding in all the extra calcium you are going to throw off that balance. Also the rice is nothing but a filler, it has no nutrional value to the dog and you would be better off feeding something else like fish or raw eggs, or raw meaty bones.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would stick with straight kibble and when you do occasionally feed extras, make sure they *replace* a kibble meal, and make sure they are meat, fish or eggs.

I would stop feeding the rice and the calcium supplement altogether. The rice has too much carbohydrate and the calcium WILL end up harming you dog's joints. A good kibble will be balanced-- you do not need to add anything to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hehe, especially the 300 kg of rice! :p

I doubt there's much of a selection in India, except maybe at expensive import shops. That food at least has chicken and eggs as the first ingredients, so the OP could do a lot worse. But no more rice! The dog food has enough grain as it is.
Em,the only known brand availabe here are pedigree n royal canine.their cost is same as in your country.they both have manufacturing plants here.the cost of drools is only 3us dollars per kg.hehe...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts