Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 8 week old whippet, Winnie.

I'm on about day 5 of crate training and it's taking its toll both physical and emotionally. I lose many hours of sleep which sucks, but worse is the feeling of guilt I get while my little pup is howling away in the early AM. She sounds miserable, but I've tried to make it as lovely as possible in there. I've never gone to open the crate when she cries, but it's getting harder to ignore!

Anyone who's crate trained: When did the tantrums eventually stop? How did you get past the feeling of guilt and sadness in having to ignore your darling? Did they really eventually like their crate?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
The tantrums usually stop, for overnight crating, in a few days to a couple of weeks... If the whining is not reinforced. Crating during the day is much harder. I got past it by playing white noise through earbuds for the transition period. Normal ear plugs would not cut it.

This stage will pass!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Honestly, I stayed in the room where the crate is... for some reason it seemed to help a lot. And yes... always wait until she stops crying before opening the crate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How long are you leaving the puppy in the crate. at eight weeks she probably needs out to potty about every 2 hours day and night. The other thing to do is put her crate beside your bed, you can relocate it later, when she's older and feels more secure in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She was much better last night! She only barked once for about 3 minutes then stopped! She has always slept in my room, but I rearranged furniture last night so her crate was more in direct view of me and she could see me better - maybe that's why she stopped barking... But I can't always be in sight so hopefully she becomes more independent!

She's mainly in there at night for about 8-10 hours. I do take her out several time through the night.

During the day I'll try to slyly move her in there while she's sleeping so she wakes up in the crate. (I have a second day crate in the living room) She does occasionally go in there herself, but usually cries when I close the crate door.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sounds like its more of a demand barking/whining than anything. Think of it as a toddler screaming for candy. It does end after a few weeks, and the pup learns that the crate is a safe place that they just have to get used to. Make sure to give your pup awesome treats in the crate, feed her in the crate, play crate games. All of those things help reinforce that the crate is an awesome place to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It sounds like you're on the right track. It took about two weeks for both of mine to get used to crate training. Whining only got them out to potty at night, and then right back in their crate. -Which sounds like what you are doing. They did take a little longer to not whine when I left home though. They did have a re-occurrence of demand barking during their 16 week "terrible twos". That may be something that happens to you later. Just be consistent and you'll be good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't forget, that crating isn't some kind of prerequisite to having a dog..

I have had dogs for the last 30 years, ranging from blue heelers, rotties, shih tzu's, Bull Mastiffs and my current little guy, a Jack Russell. I have never crated one of my dogs, ever. I also don't know a single soul who has ever crated their dogs either.

I think they are too often abused in the US (I'm in Australia), some people lock their dogs in one and go off to work for 6-10 hours :-0 I can understand using them for a short period of time overnight while housetraining a pup, but that would be about as far as i would ever go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts