Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I just gotta 2 acre paddock for my
Horses that is about 3-4 miles down the road. I have 3 horses and there are a lot of dogs (owned by people) in that area. None have harmed my horses but I have witnessed a couple dogs get through my fence to check it out. And I did see one cattle dog chase my older mare around. I have also seen people come up the fence and try to pet the horses (but that’s easily fixable with a sign).
So here’s what I’m looking for. I need a dog that will patrol the paddock, basically. A guard dog that is ok with working alone. A dog that is ok living outside (with adequate shelter) with livestock. I thought about a Great Pyrenees or something similar. But I feel like 2 acres would bore them and The horses don’t need that much protection (although it would be a good enough reason to get some chickens or something).
I do visit the area twice daily to feed so I’ll be able to check on everybody.
I have 2 other dogs that patrol a different part of my farm. So I like the idea of a guard dog on duty.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
A livestock guardian breed would probably do the trick, but note that many are resource guarders, will not tolerate animals who are not family, and may be wary of or downright aggressive toward strangers. And yes, 2 acres really isn't that much for a dog that was bred to roam large pastures all day. Be aware of your liability. You can't just turn out a dog and expect it to do its job and know its territory without training, either.

What I would try before getting a dog just for that job is a hot wire along the bottom of your fence, you know, right were a dog might try to slip under. Maybe a couple of hot wires spaced closely together. Most dogs are probably going to heed that and not try again if they touch it once, and you won't be injuring or killing someone's pet (because that is what a livestock guardian breed would do).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I grew up on a horse farm. Can confirm that a low hot wire is cheaper, easier, less of a PITA, and in many cases more effective than trying to train a dog to guard horses properly.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Too small a place for a livestock guardian dog. I know people who have them.. and it is several acres, not two and this small an area most LSG dogs will not stay put but roam.

Install electric fence. Battery operated if you do not have power there or you can use solar. It can give a good jolt. Put signs up warning people of the electric fence (tho I never did.. I put up posted signs and let nature take its course). Low wire or two to deter dogs from going underneath. Secondary benefit is the horses stay off the fence. This option is less expensive than a good LSG dog.

In NY it is legal to shoot a dog that is harassing livestock (of course, you need to be able to legally and safely discharge a firearm to do this.. and in NY it is 500 feet from a dwelling, cannot carry over another property or road etc etc). Don't ask me how I know about this.

·
Registered
935 Posts
As other have said, go with the low voltage. The type of dog your talking about would be harder to keep in and give you more headaches in that small a area than your dealing with now.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Livestock hot wire is most straightforward, quick and legally safe option.

Consider a guard donkey. Great companion to the horses while chasing out dogs and coyotes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts