Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our german shepherd for a few weeks now and all of the sudden the past few days he's become obsessed with smelling the grass. Before, we would let him out, he would go to the restroom walk around a bit then come back to us or lay in the shade. Now, he darts out the door and immediately begins sniffing the ground, he did this for 2 straight hours yesterday, does not come when called, and whines when you hold him away from the grass. What's the deal here? Side note: There are neighborhood dogs across the way, but they have always been there and none of this was an issue until recently.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Moles or gophers. That's my bet.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, could be rodents. Or, is he intact? Is the yard fenced? I wonder if a female in heat peed there. But if the yard is fenced so no other dogs can pee in it, probably critters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The yard isn't fenced but he is on a 30 foot tie out. And he's also spayed if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
The yard isn't fenced but he is on a 30 foot tie out. And he's also spayed if that makes a difference?
Eh. If a bitch in heat peed there he could still be really into that smell. All altered means is he can't make puppies. Doesn't usually make 'em lose interest completely.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that after I wrote it :p. My boys still are VERY interested in in-heat girls (and their pee), so neutering doesn't really make much difference for that. But yeah. Either critters or a girl.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Could be passing animal pee. Coyote pee in our yard sends Pepper up the wall.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota would like to know why anyone wouldn't smell every blade of grass on Earth. :)

Rabbits, moles, gophers, groundhogs, mice, squirrels, birds . . . the list depends upon where you are, really.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Could be sniffing where another animal passed, or it could be rodents or something tunneling. My dog likes to find mole tunnels and stomp on them. Creep.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Depending on where you live .... my yard is full of deer, bunnies, squirrels, fox, geese, ducks, wild turkeys, herons, hawks, moles, mice, toads, a stray dog or cat or two now and then .... maybe an occasional coyote. We even have a Bald Eagle here. My dogs love nothing more but standing there sniffing the lawn in their own little world obsessing on whatever it is! Lol! :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The cicadas have been driving mine batty. She'd sniff around digging them up all day if I'd let her. Unfortunately for her, the HOA board of the condo complex wouldn't think too much of that, so I have to drag her away. Could very well be what your dog is after, if you're in one of the areas they're hatching this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts