Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Border Collie/German Shepherd cross LOVES to play in water. I finally moved the water to the deck. Between the baby playing in the water and the puppy playing in the water the kitchen was just getting flooded. I wouldn't have thought she'd be such a water dog. I have a big Lab mix who liked to play in water some when she was younger but it's not like she dived into whatever available water source first chance she got. This puppy is constantly in the water!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've had two GSDs that loved water. One loved to play in the water (didn't like baths or being sprayed with a hose though) and would swim out and fetch sticks and also loved to hunt frogs along the edge of the pond. The other would run jump in the bathtub with my son if I left the door open and proceed to tear around the bathtub making a huge whirlpool. As a pup, I would give him a wash cloth to play with in the tub (like giving a toy to a toddler) and he would play with the cloth in the tub while I bathed him.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I think it depends on the dog.

Some labs don't like water some do

Som BC's like water and not others.
Some shepherds like water- some don't

goes with every breed. My grandparents pit bull/EB mix is obsessed with water and neither breed were bred to be in the water. So again i think it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had two GSDs that loved water. One loved to play in the water (didn't like baths or being sprayed with a hose though) and would swim out and fetch sticks and also loved to hunt frogs along the edge of the pond. The other would run jump in the bathtub with my son if I left the door open and proceed to tear around the bathtub making a huge whirlpool. As a pup, I would give him a wash cloth to play with in the tub (like giving a toy to a toddler) and he would play with the cloth in the tub while I bathed him.
I'll keep the washcloth toy in mind for the future. I never thought to give a dog a toy during a bath and I've bathed a countless number of dogs (part of previous job description). I like that idea. This is my first GSD mix.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
While there are breeds who were bred for water activities I think a lot of it has to do with individual personality. A love for water is kind of hit or miss with corgis from what I've seen. They weren't bred to be water dogs at all but I know a couple who, like your dog, will jump into any available water source for a swim. Others, like my Gally are happy to wade in but wont go for a real swim and others I've met are totally petrified of water. Then there are the labs I've met who are supposed to be water dogs but wont go near it. I love dog personalities <3

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While there are breeds who were bred for water activities I think a lot of it has to do with individual personality. A love for water is kind of hit or miss with corgis from what I've seen. They weren't bred to be water dogs at all but I know a couple who, like your dog, will jump into any available water source for a swim. Others, like my Gally are happy to wade in but wont go for a real swim and others I've met are totally petrified of water. Then there are the labs I've met who are supposed to be water dogs but wont go near it. I love dog personalities <3
One of my favorite things about dogs, the variety of personality they have! Very much individuals!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I think it depends on the dog.

Some labs don't like water some do

Som BC's like water and not others.
Some shepherds like water- some don't

goes with every breed. My grandparents pit bull/EB mix is obsessed with water and neither breed were bred to be in the water. So again i think it depends on the dog.
Pretty much this. I have a chi mix who is absolutely crazy about water. She's not yet four months old, but she'll go swimming to fetch her (tiny) tennis ball.

·
Registered
482 Posts
For what it's worth, my Border Collie mix is obsessed with water! She plays in her water bowl, she has a wading pool in the yard that she spends quite a bit of time playing in AND we live across the street from a lake that she is IN every chance she gets...if she escapes, at least I know where to find her ;). She is a swimming fiend: unlike our ACD, who likes to swim but needs a "job" in the water (fetching), the BC mix goes in just to swim around in circles and enjoy herself.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's been a long time since I've had a GSD, so I don't remember either of them really liking water. But two other GSDs I knew were provided with several pools and they liked to splash around quite a bit. LOVED bath times, too.

My Border Collie mix loves to go swimming. He hates being splashed (he knows he loves it, just don't admit it ;D) but will stick his nose into the water to pull sticks out:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been a long time since I've had a GSD, so I don't remember either of them really liking water. But two other GSDs I knew were provided with several pools and they liked to splash around quite a bit. LOVED bath times, too.

My Border Collie mix loves to go swimming. He hates being splashed (he knows he loves it, just don't admit it ;D) but will stick his nose into the water to pull sticks out:

I love the pic of just his soaked head sticking out of the water!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I came back here just to post this.

I firmly believe that breed can tell you something about your dog, but never ever let it tell you what your dog is capable of.

She's a 3.5 month old Chi mix.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I came back here just to post this.

I firmly believe that breed can tell you something about your dog, but never ever let it tell you what your dog is capable of.

She's a 3.5 month old Chi mix.
So true. Can I quote this on my Facebook page please (that little spot where you put in your favorite sayings)? Adorable pup!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
So true. Can I quote this on my Facebook page please (that little spot where you put in your favorite sayings)? Adorable pup!

Absolutely! And thank you!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
dog dependent really, I have 2 BC's and 2 ACD X GSD's, one of each LOVES water, Gypsy, one of the ACD/GSD mixes I refere to as a fish, because the second she see's water, she dives in and just swims away! only way I can keep her with me near water, is to keep throwing toys, then she will go after the toys, but if I stop for a second, she just silently swims away lol. the water lovin BC, while she loves to swim as well, she is more into splashing and dunking her head under water. the other BC and ACD/GSD both like water, and enjoys swiming and splashing, but they are not as obsessed. my water retreiver OTH trys to avoid water, she will wade into shallow water now, and one in a blue mood she will swim, but for the most part when I take my dogs swimming,, the only one NOT in the water is my one and only water dog lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts