Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 9 months old German Shepard is on her 1st heat. She’s on diapers and her bleeding is quite heavy. She’s been having diarrhea for past 2 days. This morning she vomited twice, brownish digested food. Is that something normal during heat? She eats well and drinks water. How long does this heat goes on for GSD? It’s been 2 weeks already

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Shepherd. The average heat cycle is three weeks, give or take. Some bitches go longer. Generally a week coming in, a week in, and a week going out. This article give you an outline. How Long Does a Dog Stay in Heat? Some dogs barely have any discharge, while others have heavy discharge. The second week, when the discharge changes to a lighter color is when she is most fertile (she might "flag" her tail to the side if you touch her hindquarters), so do NOT allow her around any intact males, and keep her on a leash when you take her out. Oh, and check your yard before taking her out.... it's not unheard of to have a random dog show up in your yard when your bitch is in season.

As far as the vomiting and diarrhea goes, you need to ask your vet about that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes, unless it's already cleared up, check with your vet about the vomiting and diarrhea. I once didn't catch a UTI in one of my girls when it first started because she was in heat. I attributed the frequent urinating and blood in the urine to the heat for several days before waking up to the fact she was at the very end of the heat and I shouldn't be seeing blood. So don't let the fact she's in heat keep you from checking out things you would normally find concerning if she wasn't in heat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts