Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm a new dog owner, I've had a 6 month old GSD puppy for the last two months. I've noticed she behaves very strangely when given a Milkbone.. but only with Milkbones.

When given one she happily trots off with it, usually to her sleeping pad in my bedroom, but then starts wandering around, whimpering and dropping it on the floor or on my bed or wandering off to another room to drop it somewhere. And then she ignores it. If I pick it up to give it to her she starts whimpering and trotting around before dumping it again.

Repeat and recycle a dozen times before she finally settles down on her sleeping pad to gnom it down.

I'd love to know why she's doing this. She appears to enjoy 'em, it never upsets her tummy. Only thing I can think is that perhaps at some point in her past she was given a Milkbone and had to compete with other dogs to keep it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that's just a normal dog behavior like burying a bone. My old border collie did it with only larger biscuits, not normal size Milkbones. She'd whine and run around and drop them behind the sofa or behind an armchair, saving it for later I guess. She'd appear more whiny if I was watching, so I'd have to look away. If I broke the large biscuit in two pieces, she'd just eat in.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My weirdo does this with rawhide. Then, as an added bonus, she will ferociously guard it from all other dogs. She's so clever that she will actually guard the entire room sometimes, from dogs who would dare LOOK at the door to the room where the beloved rawhide is hidden.

I can only give rawhides to her when I am going to watch her and am willing to make a big production of removing the rawhide when I am tired of the stupidity so she knows it's really gone.

She's insane. In other areas as well. But she's beautiful so I love her...

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I think it IS related to a burying behavior, but maybe b/c it is too hard to chew ? Burying would soften it. But breaking it or adding a little water make it easier to eat also. So what happens if you break it into pieces and give her all the pieces?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. :)

She doesn't really have the same behaviour with real bones.. I have given her cow knees and also antler pieces and she just starts chomping right away. Milkbones are somehow "special" to her it. I'll try breaking one in half and give it to her that way.. see if she treats it any differently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts