Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i was just wonderng if anyone would know how to keep gsd's alittle overweight from exact body weight. for one there a hard dog to keep meal satisfied on just plain kibble but i wanna keep them in the upper weight category. thanks and any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Why would you want a fat GSD? All dogs suffer from being overweight, but given how common hip dysplasia is in GSDs, that would be particularly abusive to that breed.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
A fat dog is not a healthy dog!!!!!!

I'm on my phone right now, and won't be able to post for awhile. Forum members have my permission to link to threads/share the photos I have posted of my crew

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks, Xeph!

These are award winning GSDs owned or associated with Xeph (who owns Strauss, the 2011 Service Dog of the Year). Take a good look at their condition. This is award winning condition. Not fat.

check out the tuck on this dog:

In this one, you can get a look at Mahler's waist, which is very defined.

This is the famous Strauss, look at that lean body and tuck!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Here's what a healthy GSD does when excited:

This picture is great. Not only are black GSDs magical, but being wet, you can really see the leanness of their bodies:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i didn't say fat did i... anyways i'll refrase that if it was mistaken. i wanna be able to maintain him at a descent weight where he would be able to stay meal motivated that's all. sorry for the misunderstanding and love how the thread alert kicked on.lol laterz all and thanks again.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Weight doesn't have much to do with food motivation, unless your dog is starving or too stuffed to eat anymore. Both of my dogs are an ideal weight (according to the vet) and both will go crazy for treats! You should work to keep your dog physically fit and at a good weight. Here is a chart (thanks to Niraya for uploading that); try to keep your dog looking like a 4 or 5.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
well i didn't say fat did i... anyways i'll refrase that if it was mistaken. i wanna be able to maintain him at a descent weight where he would be able to stay meal motivated that's all. sorry for the misunderstanding and love how the thread alert kicked on.lol laterz all and thanks again.
Well actually....you did say you wanted them to be "a little overweight"

I'm not really sure why you made 2 threads about essentially the same thing but I guess they're in different forum section. Anyways I remembered you said you were feeding eukanuba and was going to switch to diamond puppy, which is an upgrade in food so that may help. I don't really know why your getting puppy food tho.

Have you thought about raw or home cooked? It's certainly more appetizing than dry food. Buying meat may be more economical for you too since you said dog food is a bit pricey in guam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well to be honest i just don't like seeing rib cages and it drives me crazy to see it. i have two males and i didn't specify wich i was having a problem with. they both hold good weights but the my younger male has a harder time taking to kibble and that's why i do alittle food additives. thanks all and would like to end this post. to much drama

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Being overweight is sooooo much harder on animals than people. It is not good for them, at all. Being somewhat underweight is better than being somewhat overweight.
Please don't decrease your dog's quality of life because you want him to be act like a fat dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Whether you like to see rib cages or not, that's what's healthy for dogs. Fattening up your dog to achieve a look you like is so unfair to him. You will shorten his lifespan and make the remaining time painful.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
If you think that people telling you overweight animals are unhealthy is "too much drama", the internet probably isn't for you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you can actually see their rib cages, they ARE too skinny (can't see them on Xeph's dogs!). You want to be able to feel their ribs but not see them (except maybe the last rib or two). If you can see all the ribs, they're underweight. How old are they? Have they been de-wormed on a regular basis? Lots of nasty parasites in the tropics.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
If you can actually see their rib cages, they ARE too skinny (can't see them on Xeph's dogs!). You want to be able to feel their ribs but not see them (except maybe the last rib or two). If you can see all the ribs, they're underweight. How old are they? Have they been de-wormed on a regular basis? Lots of nasty parasites in the tropics.
If you can see the RIBS they are too skinny, if you can't see the shape of the rib CAGE, they're probably fat. Seeing the rib-cage, as a whole, is what gives them a waist.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Usually when people say they can see a dog's "rib cage", they mean the individual ribs. But, yes, some clarification is probably needed here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the link to the body weight chart. When we got Lucy a couple of weeks ago she was a little more than a 2, now she is closer or at about a 3. I was wondering where to start maintaining so that information is very helpful!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
When my dogs breathe heavily after exercise, you can count all their ribs. I keep them lean to slightly underweight. But they aren't skeletons. They are fit, healthy animals. Seeing ribs doesn't always equate to unhealthy.

Sighthounds and many APBT specimens are great examples.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i can see the rib cage and that's the problem for me. i understand the whole over weight thing and being on the internet has nothing to do with talking about dogs. i don't know where that came from. anyways my whole conversation was not fully mentioned for my situation in hand. my gsd has to be somewhat under weight and can't seem to get him to have a propper meal. you know what whatever with this conversation and is there away to drop this thread cause in all honesty yes this thread is dramatic. i just want a healthy dog and for me everyone has their prefrence. so don't judge others just cause you believe in something for your own. whatever this thread was my fault to begin with so i'll take the hits. laterz all and thanks for all your responses.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
*insert eyeroll here*

I own and will soon be breeding GSDs. If I'm dramatic about people not keeping their animals unhealthily fat because that is their preference, oh well. The preference for an unhealthy animal over a healthy one is ludicrous

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
i just want a healthy dog and for me everyone has their prefrence. so don't judge others just cause you believe in something for your own. whatever this thread was my fault to begin with so i'll take the hits. laterz all and thanks for all your responses.
An overweight dog is NOT a healthy dog, it's not a matter of preference.
What you basically said is you want your dog to be overweight so he will be more apt to take food. That doesn't make any sense.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone PURPOSELY doing this to their dog. I know a lot of people tend to "spoil" their dogs by giving them too many treats of the wrong kind, too much food, not enough exercise, but this is the first time I've heard someone say they want their dog to be fat.

By making your dog overweight, you're putting extra stress on the joints, the heart, the lungs, everything. You're dog's not going to be able to be as physically active as a normal dog and will likely end up with more health problems than it can afford. Please don't do this to your dog. It's cruel, just as cruel as starving one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts