Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my German Shepard/Lab retriever (Jack) on Monday. Brought him home from the adoption event and noticed that he DOES NOT like ANY male except me. If a guy comes up to him he automatically goes nuts! He barks and barks and barks and growls with his fur standing straight up. I try to restrain him and he growls at me (never bites though).

Was he abused in his past by a male figure??
I've only gotten him to like one guy and that's because he's really good with animals himself.

I usually give the person he's barking at a treat and tell them to hold it in a closed fist until he stops barking.
Is there anything i can do to stop him from this strange behavior?

-John

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Restraining is one of the worst things you can do. That's asking him to turn that fearfulness directly into your face and give you a good bite. You're lucky he hasn't done that yet.

It is possible he was abused, but maybe he was just never around men.

This would be a really good thing to talk to a trainer about. It's all too easy to make the problem worse so I'd suggest asking a pro. That said, my personal thoughts would be that instead of restraining him you need to pump treats into him. Counter conditioning will teach him that men = treats, and nothing bad, and his reaction should slowly decrease. You'd need to have guys willing to work with you, so they only approach just barely close enough to where he starts to react. You don't want him in full panic mode before you try to give him treats. If men are approaching, such as on a walk, and you can't avoid them, I suggest rapid-fire treat delivery. Tell him to sit and pump treats into him as fast as you can while the man passes you. This might be good to practice at a park- but again, if he's panicking too much then it's too risky. You can't push him too hard. Go his pace and be patient. Stay far enough away from men that he can still focus on you.

No man should approach him AT ALL if he is growling. They can toss treats to him from a distance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He goes nuts if he sees a man even from 100 ft away. Not even coming towards us. And a man with a dog?? He goes BALLISTIC. :(
Another problem, he doesn't always accept his treats.. I have a clicker and have been training him on and off all week. Sometimes he goes for the treats, sometimes not. Mostly not though. I had to use cheese as a special treat when I was teaching him sit.

And I have a free behavior evaluation coupon from the local obedience school, so I might use that as an opportunity to talk to the pro.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Please find a trainer that uses positive methods. This kind of thing could be make so much worse by crank n' yank or alpha mumbo jumbo.

If he goes nuts when a man is 100 ft away, have a volunteer 200 ft away with their back turned and sitting down. It might take some trial and error to figure out how far away your volunteer has to be not to trigger Jack. Go to a football field and stand in the end zone. Have your volunteer at the opposite end of the field and work from there. Do not have the volunteer approach you head on. He can zig and zag, sit down on a bench, do a light jog(this would trigger my dog), etc.

Experiment with high value treats. Tripe, hot dogs, hamburger, etc. My dog likes cheese okay but she'd trade her first born for a piece of a Wendy's hamburger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts