Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AKA I want to show you a pretty bitch xD

I mean, I'm sure you look at this girl and think "Oh, look at that head! Gorgeous! Maybe a little heavy, but still gorgeous!"

"Lovely expression and ear set! Nice and dark!"

"Strong underjaw and good proportions! She's a lovely black!"

But you would be WRONG!

Because she's a.......

MELANISTIC BI-COLOR!!!! whoo!!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see many melanistic bi-colors, Marsha. Especially not ones as nice as Traya :D

She's a finished champion, AND has her CD ^_^

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've never heard of that. Will she have any particular color pups? Or is there a color that she couldn't have (like all black)?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Melanistic is just a way of describing the depth of the pigment.

People are still debating on whether bi-color is in fact a color, or if it is a pattern. I believe it to be a pattern, but Chris Wild has some compelling arguments as to why it may be a color.

She'll have the normal range of color production. If she carries for black (I think she might, but I'd have to see her pedigree), and she's bred to a black or another carrier, she'll produce black puppies. She should also produce more bi colors as well as "normal" black and tans blanket/black and tans.

For all the recessive genes in GSDs, things can get quite complicated xD

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This boy is also a melanistic bi color to a lesser degree (notice that his legs aren't "dirtied" like there's mud specks everywhere).

Ketlyn's Surfer Dude "Cody"

And this is a bi-color bitch I was offered a couple years ago, BISS Ch Candia's Toil 'n Trouble "Sadie"

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Very pretty. In horses the Melanism is expressed in a blue black horse with no other colors and the black does NOT fade in the sun. Very rare.

In Green Frogs Melanism is expressed as Blue.. so the Frog is blue (had one in my Dad's Pond when I was a kid).

Melanism as a genetic term (explained to me) is the opposite of Albinism.

How this is manifested in the German Shepherd as BI color is interesting, assuming it is true melanism and a recessive gene as opposed to a dominant mutant gene (as it is in the Panther).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanism (it is pretty good, even tho it is Wikipedia)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nobody knows Elana! LOL!

I can show pictures of "rich" bi colors and "blanketed" dogs as well if anybody is interested :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I had to google Melanistic, and this pretty picture popped up.

I know... it has nothing to do with doggies, but I thought that it was purtyful. :D

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! What a funky white tail!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I went to my first dog show last week and saw a gorgeous male black and tan shepherd...but he had this huge white patch in the middle of his chest, are they allowed to have that?

I went to my first dog show last week, and saw a gorgeous male black and tan shepherd showing, but he had this huge white patch on his chest, is that allowed?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's actually not supposed to be any larger than a quarter, and it's getting out of hand >.<

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blanketed dog, Hawk v Eichenluft. Notice how he doesn't have black bars extended doing the majority of his front legs. He also lacks pencilling (blanketed dogs CAN have pencilling however)

Melanistic black and tan, Domara's Gordito. You can see that he has more than a saddle, but the black on his thighs and shoulders is not dark enough to qualify him as a blanketed dog.

Blanketed dog, E-Z Gogh's Rodney Dangerfield. Note how dark he is through the shoulders, back, and thighs, but lacks tarheels and foreleg bars.

Rich bicolor Otus v HausReid notice the tan markings through the face, as opposed to the solid black face of the melanistic bicolor.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Blanketed dog, Hawk v Eichenluft. Notice how he doesn't have black bars extended doing the majority of his front legs. He also lacks pencilling (blanketed dogs CAN have pencilling however)
Had to go find this smiley elsewhere as none here would suffice..

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I don't see many melanistic bi-colors, Marsha. Especially not ones as nice as Traya :D

She's a finished champion, AND has her CD ^_^
Nah I saw that coming with the visible brown tones around her mouth. You can't fool me you trixster!

She looks and sounds awesome!!! Great pics.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Xeph, can you explain "pencilling" to me? =) Oh, and "tarheels" and "foreleg bars".

And thank for you showing the other pics. I'm really enjoying this. XD

1 - 20 of 52 Posts