Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just grumbling....not asking for advice or anything.

Maddie has never been huge on barking. Never to other dogs, only to people who come into our "territory" -to protect us. Usually she growls and half barks.

Well, we were gone a week and she was visiting a friend's....now we trust them because they raise Guide Dogs for the Blind and one works in a kennel and they dog sit for others a lot.... Well, they have a dog, formerly a Guide Dog, who barks AT EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME.
And I think she just taught Maddie to bark her head off. Her barking has been insane. It's still at strangers at the door, but she's been continuously barking. We went to a friend's last weekend for a party and she barked and barked at people outside. Otherwise good, but kind of embarrassing for us.
The other day, we had someone come to the house to look at it since we're moving, and we put Maddie in her crate before. She barked and barked and barked the entre time the person was in the house. Maybe she smelled like cigarettes? Maddie hates that. Perhaps Maddie didnt get to greet her properly since she was in a crate? Still, it's not like her to bark that much. I think her doggy friend taught her to bark.

So, again, I'm just grumbling that Maddie possibly learned this barking from another dog.....and I've always thought my friends should do something about the barking and the eating everything in sight (their dog went into my duffel bag, opened up a container of food, and ate it. Next time, somehow, got in there and took a huge chomp, leaving teeth marks, on the food scooper! If there's food on the table, in our hands, it's gone. Dog jumps right up and takes it....)

In comparison, she is barking as much as other dogs, perhaps I've just taken it for granted that she's never been a huge barker.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Heh. I know what it feels like to think your dog picked up bad manners from other dogs...

My dog never begs at home, hardly barks, is housebroken, listens to commands, the works- We go over to my father's house around my step-mother's dogs and all-Hell-breaks-loose!! He's on his hind-legs begging like a two-year old, he yaps at squirrels, neighbors, and other dogs. He pees wherever their pug-puppy has peed, refuses to listen to me at all, and just about anything else you can think of...

After I bring him home, the next few days it appears as if he's "testing" my authority. -.- He still won't listen and acts quite defiant, like a "teenager".

I've voiced my complaints, but some people have mentioned that behavior like that is possibly just the "true-colors" of Donatello; That he feels a whole lot more comfortable in that atmosphere, where the rules are slack... It's not so much that he's "picking up" bad behavior, he's just slacking himself... Kind of like how kids are terrible at home, but out in public or at strangers' houses they act all good for a trial period, then they just kick-back and act like hoodlums... That's what Donatello did. The first few weeks when we went over to visit, he played around but he would mind me just as if we were home... Not anymore!

lol! I try not to think too much into, instead- when I go over there I basically "start-over" on the list of commands for him. It seemed to work the last time I was over there...

I know you weren't looking for advice, but I wish there was something more I could suggest to you, besides words of comfort. : )

·
Banned
352 Posts
Interesting.
My wifes retired Guide has barked 7 times in the last 8 years.
Her current Guide will bark ONLY while playing, and if it gets to be too much, she is told to "Be Quiet" (the dog, not the wife---hehe).
The Guide pup we are raising (16 weeks old) doesnt bark, but does get a bit vocal during play and at feeding time.
The thing to note is this: When the dogs are released to the handlers after the training period (usually around 4 weeks of residential training), they do not bark. They are trained not to bark. Excessive barking can be cause to "wash-out" the dog from the program. It is up to the handler to maintain the training standards and keep the dog in control. Apparently, they have not kept up the training the dog had received as a working Guide. It really is a shame, because this will reflect on ALL working and retired Guides, as seen from your post.

But, yes, your dog can learn bad (and good, for that matter) habits from other dogs.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've been lucky in that my dog's behavior hasn't seemed to rub off on one another. Eddie, my Lab, is a barker. He's not barking out of excitement or even boredom; but rather barks at noises he hears. If he hears deer in the woods, or some other wild animal in the woods, he goes ballistic with the barking. We've been working on the command, "Enough" followed with redirection to something else. We've had some success with it.

Thankfully, Uallis, my Mastiff, doesn't really bark often even though he hears Eddie barking all the time. He might bark once or twice while he's outside at night but then moves on to something else. I don't think Uallis has ever barked more than once or twice at something at a time.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but if it were me, I'd just limit the exposure to what you think has caused the problem. If he "learned" the bad behavior from another dog, then don't let him around that other dog anymore because it will just serve to reinforce the bad behavior further.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MDawn, Maddie is a girl :)

It's the last time to see her doggy friend (who, Smithcat, isnt retired, like in your case, but was not able to be one for one reason or another) since we're moving, and they're some of my best friends. She otherwise has a great time....it's too bad she learns bad things from her doggy friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts