Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a woman this morning walking her black lab. The woman said she had to be careful with the dog because 'He hates black dogs'. LOL

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
It's not that surprising, actually. There are lots of cases of dogs not liking a particular color dog, or person.

My mom's little um, whatever it is mutt, absolutely hates anyone with a darker skin color (hawaiin, mexican, africian, etc etc). It embarasses my mom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems normal to me. I wouldnt call it racist. Some dogs are either just like that, or it could have had a very bad experience with another black dog that left if scared so to speak. (couple that with the owner probably not doing anything about it)

My grandfathers dog growing up, HATED anyone who was Mexican/Latino. They didnt teach him to be this way either.

Could be any number of reasons why the dog doesnt like other black dogs. It more than likely associates the color with something bad. It wouldnt surprise me if it couldnt walk infront of a mirror either.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I don't know if this is true or not but I've heard that black colored dogs are hard to read????? I read somewhere that black dogs are hard to adopt out from shelters because you can't see their eyes/ face features as well, which in turn makes it hard to read there body language....... if that makes any since.........

Maybe it's that same with dogs...... maybe they can't read the black dogs body language so they act differently towards them.......Don't know but just a thought. :confused:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hehe Callahan hates black dogs as well. When he was younger he was attacked by a very aggressive black Pit that was owned by some plain out idiots.
So yea it is possible, but he is okay with Jade.

To add to it... the other day I found out that Jade does not like African Americans :( It was very embarrassing. We were at PetSmart and it was the first time she ever saw a different race color... it was just really embarrassing)
But down here there are RARELY any African Americans around here... so I guess it's a good thing? :confused: That we dont run into that race very often?

Gosh this is making me sound so racist! Uggh I'm not okies?! :eek: Sigh... I guess my dog is tho
Nessa

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds to me like it wasnt maybe so much the color of the guys skin as the fact that it was different.

With the way dogs thinks, plus already being afraid of the color black, might have seriously confused your dog by seeing the color on a person. Sort of an "omg" moment.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The dog probably doesn't know he is black himself.

I've had dogs that didn't like certain people, races of people. As well as colors of dogs or certain breeds of dogs.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.....obviously lost of people for some psychological reason find black dogs more scary than white dogs (classic e.g. friendly yellow lab vs aggressive black lab) and I just assumed the dog was picking up on the owner's own nervousness around black dogs ....

I don't really know but find it hard to believe that a dog is going to react to another dogs color - they have to many other things to key off, esp scent. If there owner is getting antsy, then thats a different story.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Well it's not like the dog looks at himself in the mirror! :p

Dogs react to LOTS of different things, adn dogs ARE individuals. Their reactions to experiences are also bad. Indy was attacked by a shar pei as a puppy and generalized that to "Dogs with blocky heads and up tails are evil." but it could have just as easily been "white/cream dogs are bad" (this was a cream) or "big dogs are bad" (the dog was significantly larger than him). A friend of mine had her terrier X rolled by a white standard poodle (poodle was playing, her dog was terrified) and her dog is FINE with standard poodles in any color but white- but also reacts very strongly to white minis, toys, and BICHONS. (And quite a few white poodle mixes.)

I think it's in "For the Love of A Dog" that Patricia McCOnnell talks about how fear generalizes for dogs, but it's not actually that unusual at all. Good pattern spotting on the owner's part to have figured out what her dog's trigger was. (Now, to fix the problem- but she's got a good starting place!)

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Its strange but somehow a big black dog does come across as more agressive looking,perhaps it is a mind thing.

Aslans mum is a large black/blueish dog (NeoXAmerican bulldog) and she lives up to the sterotype,shes a real agressive caracter.

Its funny reading the stories of people who have dogs who take a dislike to people of different races,takes me back to childhood.
My Godmother had 2 very large GSD major and duke (they were all golden with black masks not sure what you call that type) and the neigbour 4 doors along had a Staffordshire bull terrier bitch called roxanne whos brother buster lived next door.

Im not sure how many years the turf wars went on for but i could write a book about the BS that went down there,my Godmother is black and the neigbours both white.
The SBT clearly hated anybody black but this was more a case of having racsist owners i think,anyway as neighbours they never got on and i remember countless fights between the dogs and them,looking back when i was a kid people just let thier dogs out like kids and called them back to come home so no wonder there was conflict,crazy shit!

Theres a big difference between encouraging your dogs to dislike a certain race and them just not liking the unknown i think,i would experiment with this theory but im mixed raced so it just wouldnt work,too many black and white people flow in and out of this house.HAHA.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, Lennox has growled at a male white golden retriever last summer and his owner told me he is racist because he’s black. (Lennox’s coat is not really black but, oh well) I actually have heard that some dogs dislike certain color or types of dogs.
However, he has met many other white dogs afterwards and nothing happened.

Lennox has been raised in an interracial family (I’m Japanese and my wife is black) so he doesn’t have any problem against Asians and blacks. Our friends (Whites, Hispanics, Indians, etc) come to our house all the time and he never had any problem with anyone. So, I thought he doesn’t discriminate (?) anyone but my wife told me recently that he actually doesn’t like one person. For some reason he hates my wife’s co-worker’s husband. I was not there but she told me when he came up to him, he barked at him like crazy, which never ever happened before. (Lennox normally never barks) Weird…

-n

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I find this true. I have an all white dog and an all black dog. The black one is smaller, but people fear her more. Neither of them would hurt anyone, but I guess people do stereotype dogs. ( Never really thought of it, tho).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Mesquite REALLY hates african americans. She also doesn't like huskies at all.

Rocky doesn't like black labs. Puppy, adult, male, female... doesn't matter. He absolutely hates black labs.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I had a Rottweiler once that hated other male Rottweiler's. He could be around any other breed of dog of either sex but male Rottie's always made him grumpy.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My dog Gizmo a border collie mix hates all other female border collies she is fine with any other dog male or female but put her in a room with any female border collie and she will try to tear them apart.

And my first dog Precious a shar-pei mix hated white people outside of my family. Relatives would come over she would go insane strangers she acted the same way but only if they were white. But around me and my family she was perfectly calm.

ETA: if you were around Precious long enough she didn't try to eat you lol

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I know some "breedist" dogs lol. There's a chocolate lab who comes into work, and she HATES corgis with a flaming passion. It even says so on her kennel card, and Shippo walked past the play yard she was in once, and he tried to eat through the fence to get at him. >O_O;< Also, a co-workers dog hates boxers.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I've been waiting for someone else to ask the obvious, but nobody has so .....

Some people above mentioned people who say their dogs who don't like people of a particular race or sex.

Based on what we know of dog behavior / psychology what is more likely:
i) Fido doesn't like black men (e.g.)
ii) Fido's owner tenses up (subconsciously) around black men and Fido gets edgy?

Dogs are so focused on scent, and read body language so well, that I find it difficult to believe in the former .....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts