Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm glad she was reclaimed by her family. Hopefully the experience will make them want to get a tag, microchip . . . something.

My older dog is microchipped and wears a tag. Clayton wears a tag, and he'll be microchipped when he's a little older.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Okay ... I feel bad ... I'm one of those people. *hangs head in shame* None of my dogs wear collars so there's nothing to connect the tags to. They are all mainly outside dogs. ~More the reason to wear collars, right?~ They used to wear collars but I quit that a long time ago. For several reasons, some being: 1.) They just didn't keep them on - chewed off by another dog or broken off, 2.) collars being left on all the time, imo, are harsh on the coat and skin, 3.) I've actually had my dogs get hung up on each other during play, and then another one 4.) I had a dog (and cat) seriously injured by the collar by it getting caught on something.

So now my dogs are collarless. The only time my dogs wear something is when we leave the house, which they usually wear a harness. My dogs share the 3 harnesses as I usually never take all of my dogs at once. As for their Rabis tags, I have all 8 tags on a ring that I carry all the time. I know, I know, ... what good are they there, right? Well, I keep them on the ring with me just so I know I have the tags at all times and I know where they are.

Okay here's my But! But I seriously am looking into getting my dogs micro chipped. Though I know, as alphadoginthehouse mentioned, the chip is not as convenient as the tags. However, chipped is Way better than nothing at all.

So on the micro chip...

1.) I've either heard or read somewhere that not all chips can be read by all scanners. --That is NOT very encouraging at all!! Thus being, if my dog were taken to a vet who had the wrong scanner, would just the information not show up but the vet would know the chip was in there or would it appear that my dog has no chip at all?

2.) Then reading what melgrj7 wrote... The chip can move out of place?! Resulting in the dog needing to be re-chipped -- that's not good. What is the likeliness of that happening?

Again, seriously looking into the micro chip. I would like to chip all of my dogs, a couple of my cats (at least for right now), and then chip my ferret (if they can do that). I just would like to understand it a bit more before I make my decision on what to do about my tagless pets.

Please don't hate me. :eek:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
It costs like 5 bucks to throw a tag on a dog. I've even seen the machines in Wal*Mart. It's not like they're hard to come by.

Though, in a way, thank you idiots that never tagged Jack and Smalls. In a way, they're responsible for them coming into my life.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
All my animals' collars are loose so if they get caught on something they can slip out. I would rather risk the collar coming off than not having a collar on if they get out. If you don't want tags, get the collar with a phone number embroidered. Small price to pay for a better chance of your dog coming back to you.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hmmm...one of mine is wearing a collar with no tags right now...I bought a new collar for her about a week ago and still haven't switched the tags over. She's chipped though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hyper, my dog isn't tagged either. He will be...but I haven't ordered his tags yet. The one time he's gotten loose, he stayed fairly close (thankfully) but tags wouldn't have helped because he pulled his collar right over his head...so he is getting tags and chipped as soon as I can get him into the vet. hehe

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
1.) I've either heard or read somewhere that not all chips can be read by all scanners. --That is NOT very encouraging at all!! Thus being, if my dog were taken to a vet who had the wrong scanner, would just the information not show up but the vet would know the chip was in there or would it appear that my dog has no chip at all?

2.) Then reading what melgrj7 wrote... The chip can move out of place?! Resulting in the dog needing to be re-chipped -- that's not good. What is the likeliness of that happening?
Most of the chips can be read by most of the scanners. My vet has an avid scanner. My cat snickers is chipped with an avid chip, my vets scanner picks that up of course. Lloyd came from the shelter chipped with a home again chip, the avid scanner picks that up. Allie came with her chip from some other company (can't remember the name) and the avid scanner picked that . . . once we found the chip. I can't remember what kind of chip The Ruthie Chicken (our other cat) came with from the rescue.

Usually the chips don't move. Normally I believe scar tissue forms around the chip, holding it in place. Both my cats and Lloyd's are still in place. Allie's had moved prior to us getting her it seems as her first vet visit a few days after getting her it was out of place. My vet checks their chips every single visit.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It costs like 5 bucks to throw a tag on a dog. I've even seen the machines in Wal*Mart. It's not like they're hard to come by.
That is sooo NOT the reason my dogs don't wear tags.

Most of the chips can be read by most of the scanners. My vet has an avid scanner. My cat snickers is chipped with an avid chip, my vets scanner picks that up of course. Lloyd came from the shelter chipped with a home again chip, the avid scanner picks that up. Allie came with her chip from some other company (can't remember the name) and the avid scanner picked that . . . once we found the chip. I can't remember what kind of chip The Ruthie Chicken (our other cat) came with from the rescue.
That makes me feel a lot better. Now, out of curiosity, I'm going to go ask all my local vets what brand they use. Something else I'd like to know, can the chip also be programed to tell if the dog is current on vaccinations? I have an appointment at the vet this week with one of my cats. While I'm there I'm going to ask him a couple more questions about the chip, then start to schedule my dogs. I'll probably take them in 2 by 2, lol.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My dogs have flat tags that slide onto their collars, it eliminates the risk of them catching their tags and the risk of hooking the dog up with the wrong ring (I've done that before!). http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags&k=h
That is an awesome looking tag!! I will have to check around up here to see if I can find some. Neither of my dogs wear their collars unless we leave the house to go somewhere... I can't stand the jingling lol! Bayne is chipped but Baylee isn't. No one but the shelter here does the AVID chips and that is what I had wanted done with Baylee. My vet does Home Again.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with Home Again, I just wanted both of mine to be done with the same company. The shelter here won't chip an animal that hasn't been through the shelter... but if Avid can scan the Home Again chips then I'm happy and will get the Home Again done.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts