Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Jessie who's a 14 month old shepherd has recently started to have a ravenous appetite. I feed her close to 1600 calories a day with little weight gain. No parasites. Vet checked. Is there a food I could give her that will put some meat on he bones? She has (I think) chicken beef and possibly lamb allergies. She was on raw. I'm transitioning her off since I don't have the time, space or money to continue. Started transitioning to avoderm duck grain free mixed in with grandma Lucy pure performance rabbit.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Fat sates the appetite and carbs tend to create blood sugar swings. Max eats a lower fat prey model raw at about 30-40% fat and something like 1% carbs from dry weight from the glycogen in the meats and organs and no longer has the bile vomits he had on high carb cooked and kibble even though he is now fed once a day. I was amazed.

Is the new diet lower in fat than the raw? Might look at using something fattier every once in a while.

She is a young dog and will be lean for a while yet. If you do feel her bones are too prominent then splitting her food into 3 meals might put the weight on better than feeding her twice a day. It is possible that would help with the appetite too if she isn't fully digesting the larger meals at the moment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts