Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Growth on Face - Amazing Speed! What is it?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  winniec777 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE! - Venom Injection - Growth on Face - Amazing Speed! What is it?

EDIT: 8 JULY 2009
The vet called with biopsy results. It turns out he has a venom injection of some kind, but we don't know what: wasp, spider, etc.

He's healing well, and the growths on his face are nearly gone. Awesome! Thank you for your prayers, thoughts, and advice. I do appreciate it, and so does our little man.

New Pic:
http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/35327/2514823560093931679S600x600Q85.jpg

Original Post Below:

So I came home to this:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2148993950093931679ZGptDk?vhost=pets

...called the sister who has a vet degree from Auburn, gave no advice, I guess picture phones aren't that good at diagnosing problems...

and it grew to this:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2390642590093931679DfEHdP?vhost=pets
and is now this:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2165789930093931679OTnbjI?vhost=pets
The vet can't fit me in. I'm of the "it's a dog, he probably just got bit by something and it'll go down in a day" belief system, but it's not going down, and the earliest appointment I could get was Monday 0915.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm still Googling as we speak, nearest thing I could come up with was this:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=794027

FYI
Today is Saturday night so I guess we found this Thursday night after coming home.
3.5 year old Australian Cattle Dog mix, mom pure, dad who knows, great dog, wonderful, we love him very much
no change in diet that I know of since I got him, I'm original owner, inside dog except for daily excursions into our wooded outdoors.
He is only lately changing behavior, still runs around outside like there's no problem at all, is wanting to sit on my lap a lot more, more cuddly, etc., not as playful as of one day.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the help. I can't find one close by that is answering the phone. We didn't think it would get this bad, and I hope it's reached the max by now.

It seems localized to the face: ears, eyes, nose, etc. so I'm thinking he just bumped something and had a reaction, but I'm not the expert. When I can get him in, I will, but until then I'm just researching, asking around for opinions.

Thanks a million!

#6 ·
ouch! I agree with getting into a vet as soon as you can. I would be leaving emergency messages on their machines If I wasn't able to speak to them directly. Good Luck to you! Poor baby. :(

#8 ·
Do you have a cone collar that would fit him? While I agree 100% with the others that you need to get him to a vet immediately I would put a cone on him until you are able to do so. That does not look like something you want him to be able to scratch at!

The poor baby, I hope you're able to get him into a vet ASAP! I would even call your vet again and ask them for the nearest 24 hour emergency hospital.

#10 ·
The ER vet didn't know what it was so she consulted the 2nd ER vet. Neigher knew what it was. We went to our scheduled appointment the next day, and she didn't know what it was, but she did some scapes, biopsy, etc. etc., gave me some antifunal and antibiotic medicine (pills), and now we're waiting for results.

We had to begin crating him because of blood stains on the carpet - the problem has gotten worse since the vet visit. He has completely lost his appetite for the usual food, only eating bread and cheese. He has also lost his desire to move, to go outside, to greet us at the door, etc. etc.

I've uploaded new pictures to the same link in the first post. It's very sad, and we're praying for wisdom because we simply don't know what to do. If it keeps up though, I believe our answer will be made for us because we don't want him in pain and discomfort.

#12 ·
Oh my Goodness. That poor baby. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I also hope the skin scraping will give some answers and they will find a treatment ASAP. Positive thoughts coming your way from Wisconsin.

#15 ·
Oh goodness, your poor baby! Please update when you have a chance. Those photos make me so sad for your pup. :(

#16 ·
OH MY.......poor little thing ;( I'd be bringing him to the emergency instead of calling....but i find it hard to believe that they CAN'T find out what it is. Looking at those pictures it HAS to be painful. I agree with some replies in getting a cone for your dog's head so that he doesn't scratch it anymore. I'm not an expert but have been reading alot about dogs, and have come across a book by Dr.Kidd called "Herbs for dogs" which has alot of healing processes for dogs, and from what I read, maybe some aloe vera gel or juice can be beneful for your dog. Why don't you try to put some on there, so it can heal? If you try it, let me know if it works........my prayers are with your dog......poor dog ;( Makes me want to cry when I see a dog hurting like that. I don't understand why the vet is making you wait....sheesh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.