Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an almost 10week old maltipoo. He was very sweet when we brought him home - he only wanted to sleep near us or on us - it was ok first couple of days but we needed to make sure he is comfortable with crate and play pen. We received him at 8weeks old.
His behavior has now changed. I don’t know if it’s bc he is now using crate or bc he just feels more comfortable. He no longer just sits at our feet. He is all over the place. We had to crate him and follow a schedule ( which I found on here) bc he started to have accidents on our rug . He was so good the first week but now he will run grab his toys and take them to our rug - and run around and then stop and pee. He took us by surprise the first time he did this bc he had been doing well with potty training. We were enjoying having him lay by our side - on our rug even! Or just play with us . Now he won’t sit still at all!! And he is constantly biting ( or nipping and chewing) . I started to use crate during the day and now play pen so I can fold laundry or do chores etc. He screams when we use the play pen! It’s awful but we have been ignoring him until he quiets down.
I thought he has separation anxiety bc he would not sleep in crate during the day - he would just sit there. i bought Him a puppy with a heartbeat sound and also now cover his crate and he seems to be doing better. But the play pen - he still objects but it’s getting a little better. I want my children to be able to enjoy him but I told them he has to be kept in crate for naps and play pen for supervised play or outdoors bc he will go crazy in our house . He will just run and run and then pee .
Also - another concern is he will occasionally growl at me when we are outside. He will come for my ankles or pant legs . And growl if I try to pick him up . I don’t know if he is over tired or what?
he started to do this to my teen daughter. I do plan on getting a training class for him at some point, i am just worried he is scared of me now or angry bc he knows I am the one who puts him in crate. We were working on the command “come” and “sit”. He ignores me now when I say come - especially if he grabbed something to chew - he cowers down then runs away from me ( this is outside) and sit - which that one he is really good at and will immediately sit to get his treat - but once he gets his treat he is jumping all over us trying to bite etc. yes we have toys to redirect his attention- even a kong toy ( used it in crate only initially now using it in play pen only ).
is all of this normal? The biting and growling worries me. We got the puppy for our children - they have always wanted a puppy . Thought it would bring a little cheer to them during this pandemic. They don’t seem to mind to much and love him but I am am worried bc I don’t want a dog that just growls , runs away from us or runs wild in this house .
and I don’t want to use the play pen forever. We would love to snuggle with him or have him lay at our feet Calmly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hate to say it but he is a baby. Did you ignore your babies when they cried?
He cries because he doesnt like you to leave him alone. He wants to be with his family.

Potty training with a pup is much as it is with children firstly they have to gain the muscle strength to be able to hold it. Secondly they have to learn where they msust go so potty training , after each sleep each play each meal or drink and in any case every couple of housrs put him outside where you expect him to toilet and when he does go praise like made , as if its the best thing ever , he will soon learn you like that and because dogs want to please he will try to do it for you.

Secondly and Im not saying you dont, but please train your children that the dog is not a plaything. They do not have the right to play with him as and when they want to. Maybe you could get them to help with his training. Dogs are not just bought to cheer people up they are living beings who should be bought in as a part of your family to enrich and expand your lives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have an almost 10week old maltipoo. He was very sweet when we brought him home - he only wanted to sleep near us or on us - it was ok first couple of days but we needed to make sure he is comfortable with crate and play pen. We received him at 8weeks old.
His behavior has now changed. I don’t know if it’s bc he is now using crate or bc he just feels more comfortable. He no longer just sits at our feet. He is all over the place. We had to crate him and follow a schedule ( which I found on here) bc he started to have accidents on our rug . He was so good the first week but now he will run grab his toys and take them to our rug - and run around and then stop and pee. He took us by surprise the first time he did this bc he had been doing well with potty training. We were enjoying having him lay by our side - on our rug even! Or just play with us . Now he won’t sit still at all!! And he is constantly biting ( or nipping and chewing) . I started to use crate during the day and now play pen so I can fold laundry or do chores etc. He screams when we use the play pen! It’s awful but we have been ignoring him until he quiets down.
I thought he has separation anxiety bc he would not sleep in crate during the day - he would just sit there. i bought Him a puppy with a heartbeat sound and also now cover his crate and he seems to be doing better. But the play pen - he still objects but it’s getting a little better. I want my children to be able to enjoy him but I told them he has to be kept in crate for naps and play pen for supervised play or outdoors bc he will go crazy in our house . He will just run and run and then pee .
Also - another concern is he will occasionally growl at me when we are outside. He will come for my ankles or pant legs . And growl if I try to pick him up . I don’t know if he is over tired or what?
he started to do this to my teen daughter. I do plan on getting a training class for him at some point, i am just worried he is scared of me now or angry bc he knows I am the one who puts him in crate. We were working on the command “come” and “sit”. He ignores me now when I say come - especially if he grabbed something to chew - he cowers down then runs away from me ( this is outside) and sit - which that one he is really good at and will immediately sit to get his treat - but once he gets his treat he is jumping all over us trying to bite etc. yes we have toys to redirect his attention- even a kong toy ( used it in crate only initially now using it in play pen only ).
is all of this normal? The biting and growling worries me. We got the puppy for our children - they have always wanted a puppy . Thought it would bring a little cheer to them during this pandemic. They don’t seem to mind to much and love him but I am am worried bc I don’t want a dog that just growls , runs away from us or runs wild in this house .
and I don’t want to use the play pen forever. We would love to snuggle with him or have him lay at our feet Calmly.
My 3 month cavapoo was/is like that. First few days she was quiet (because she was only 8weeks at the time) and she was just getting used to my condo. But u should engage her with other young puppies so they learn to socialized

·
Registered
93 Posts
He was so calm because his whole world changed and he was so young. Now he’s getting comfortable and being a puppy.
Never call a puppy to come to you for negative things. If he stole something, you should always go to him and trade him. Give him a toy or treat for getting your stuff back, even if he didn’t voluntarily give it up, yet.
When you call a puppy to come, it should always be a great party to come to you. Reward the “come” Before you make him sit, so he knows that he’s getting rewarded for coming (not for sitting). Sound very happy and always give treats (at least for the first couple months of training Come).
Do not try to pick him up in his heightened state or he will growl. Growls are good because he’s communicating that he needs space or doesn’t want to be picked up. Never punish or stop a dog from growling because if they lose their warning signal their next move is to bite. Try to redirect him to grab a toy. If he won’t engage with the toy, simply stand still and say nothing. Be boring until he stops nipping at you. Then praise him for not nipping at your pants.
Look up “flirt pole”. These are great to use outside (and inside) to have him grab onto something that’s his and also run off some energy.
I Highly recommend a positive reinforcement puppy class ASAP. Do not wait until more Unwanted behaviors emerge. He will be around other immunized puppies, so it’s quite safe. I’ve taught classes for 14 years and never had a puppy get sick from coming to class.
Make sure to immediately go outside with him after a short play session, so he doesn’t pee inside. It can take a couple months to be potty trained. You just got lucky in the first week to catch him before he had an accident. Do not leave food down either. If he doesn’t finish after 20 minutes, pick up bowl and put down at next meal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts