Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heidi is a beautiful jack Russell/min pin puppy. She’s had some issues with shows of aggression since I’ve gotten her(i.e. barking and growling at strangers on walks). For the most part I have been really proactive about this and it’s practically gone away. Instead, she’s a lot more tense at home. She’ll look out a window and just start growling, but nothing is even moving out there. There won’t be sounds, birds, cars or people, yet she growls and occasionally gets into a barking fit. This even happens occasionally when she’s nowhere near a window. I’ve blocked her access to windows but this isn’t a solution for long term. What could she be growling at and how could I teach her she doesn’t need to be growling?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Young dogs bark and growl at things because they don't know what is normal and what is not yet. My dog did that, and I would go over, pretend to make a big show of looking around even if there wasn't anything there that I could see, say, "Oh, its okay" and then walk away and continue doing what I was doing. Usually fixed it, because clearly I wasn't concerned. Sometimes he would want to keep carrying on, though, so then we had a bit of crate time because he usually needed a nap.

Some dogs are just genetically anxious, too, and that may be the case here. If she's still a young puppy, though, she may simply be going through a fear period, and a little patience and understanding is all you need. If barking and growling at "nothing" persists or gets worse, you may need to contact a trainer to help you. Reacting to people passing is a little easier than fixing reacting to nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 9-yr-old dog who rarely barks at anything. However, sometimes she will get zoomies, scratch herself on my brick hearth, & bark. Amazingly, I have found all that stops if we go for a walk.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It sounds like defensive behavior and she sounds like a defensive dog. The aggression you describe is not aggression, it is fear and, because she is on leach, she know she cannot retreat. Her answer is to look big and tough before they do.. and maybe scare them away. Indoors she may hear something you cannot hear.

Redirecting her is the first step and teaching her a quiet command. The most important thing is to NOT get upset which will feed the undesirable behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts