Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had Sadie for 5 weeks now - it's hard to believe it's been that long already!!!

She is coming along great. She has mastered 'Sit' and 'Lay Down' and we are working hard on 'Stay', 'Roll Over', and 'Shake a Paw'. Her recall is getting better by the day, and she comes 90% of the time (the other 10% she's up to no good!)

I'm really, really happy with her progress!!

The only thing that bugs me is that she tends to go 'crazy' at times, and I swear she sees me as a human squeak toy! Whether it be my arms, legs, clothing...anything she can get to she'll bite and tug (and HARD!) It happens 2-3x/day, so it's not excessive but it's not rare. Usually it's when she's wanting to play or is really hyper. She is learning 'Leave It' but it doesn't seem to apply to my body parts!

I've tried yelping, leaving the room, redirecting her, and a lot of other things recommended in Stopping the Bite (including revised steps that someone posts a lot on here). I was wondering if I got her a crate and used that as a time out? She's never been crate trained, so it would be new.

I should also note that she only does this to me. She doesn't even think to try it on my boyfriend or anyone else she sees. Just Mamma.

Any insight would be fabulous! :)

Thank you! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
I think I heard my name mentioned elliptically :)

1. Normally this is play behavior, but she doesn't realize that it's painful (Don't bite her back :) )
2. The Yelp has to be fairly loud to get a startle out of her, like she'd make if you had stepped on her foot.
3. I don't know what to suggest if you Yelp, she startles; You praise, She Nips again, You Yelp, and then leave her alone in the room with nothing to do, then return in about 30 sec. .... And, that you have acknowledged if she licked, barked or playbowed.

The point of you leaving is to withdraw attention, blatantly, as opposed to doing a time-out ...

Did that provide the insight you want ? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah! I knew it was hank something! I must have been looking in the wrong threads when I tried to find you!

Thanks! Maybe I'm not yelping loud enough. I'm not a loud person, so maybe I sound like a mouse saying, "you think that hurt!? Ha ha ha" LOL

She's not doing it as frequently. She started and it would happen evvvvvery time I walked by her. 2x a day is like paradise now :)

Thank you, hanksimon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
The thing I like about the Yelp method is that I could use it in other circumstances, once it worked for Bite Inhibition, b/c "Yelp" seemed to communicate 'Pls don't do that.' ... And for the first time, rather than Commanding my dog, I felt that I was communicating.

When we played Tug and he nipped, I yelped, and he was gentle. Or he won and ran, and I yelped, and he returned with the toy. Or grab a different toy and try to play keep away, then I yelped ...

He's 11 yo now, and I still have to give him a yelp tune-up... but it is very different than the initial training... it's communication :)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top