Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a puppy who during the day I have been bringing to my office and leaving her in her crate in the basement, so far its been going great. I let her potty on my breaks and lunch we go run around the trails that are near my office.

Long story short, my boss wasn't super excited that I was brining a puppy but was hard for her to say no too. But, in a strange turn of events my boss is actually talking about looking into fencing off some area that is already partially fenced for a dog run. Employees could then bring their dogs for the day and keep them there.

Can anyone identify any potential problems I may have with leaving a group of dogs unsupervised in a dog run like I am describing?

- Alex

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can think of a lot.
1. Your dog gets picked on
2. Your dog gets in a fight
3. Your dog gets killed
4. Your dog gets injured and isn't checked in on
5. Another owner hurts your dog and you don't know
6. Your dog picks up bad habits
7. Diseases, infections, fleas, ticks, etc. spreading to your dog
8. Whose going to clean the dog run? Parasites in other dogs poop you dog can get.
9. Just the fact that these dogs are going to run around in poop/pee all day (in a supervised dog run once a dog poops its immediately cleaned up)
10. One of these dogs, for whatever reason, is aggressive towards people coming in the dog run and bites them.

I mean, no group of dogs should be left unsupervised really. Especially dogs that don't know each other. Your boss is looking at a severe liability if someone gets hurt. To much can happen in 5 minutes much less a whole day in this run. If I were you, I would look into crating at home or dropping off your dog at a good daycare. Your dog will get exercise, stimulation, be safe, and be supervised with appropriate actions taken place should something happen.

All in all, this is a horrible idea. Good intentions but way too many factors are involved and you would be putting your dogs safety in terrible risk.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I can think of a lot.
1. Your dog gets picked on
2. Your dog gets in a fight
3. Your dog gets killed
4. Your dog gets injured and isn't checked in on
5. Another owner hurts your dog and you don't know
6. Your dog picks up bad habits
7. Diseases, infections, fleas, ticks, etc. spreading to your dog
8. Whose going to clean the dog run? Parasites in other dogs poop you dog can get.
9. Just the fact that these dogs are going to run around in poop/pee all day (in a supervised dog run once a dog poops its immediately cleaned up)
10. One of these dogs, for whatever reason, is aggressive towards people coming in the dog run and bites them.

I mean, no group of dogs should be left unsupervised really. Especially dogs that don't know each other. Your boss is looking at a severe liability if someone gets hurt. To much can happen in 5 minutes much less a whole day in this run. If I were you, I would look into crating at home or dropping off your dog at a good daycare. Your dog will get exercise, stimulation, be safe, and be supervised with appropriate actions taken place should something happen.

All in all, this is a horrible idea. Good intentions but way too many factors are involved and you would be putting your dogs safety in terrible risk.
Completely agree.

However, it would not be the worst idea to do this as a place to take your dog during breaks and lunch, so that he can run off leash and play with other dogs that are there supervised by their respective owners.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
or even like dog "kennels" so they have some walking around room and then have a run type area to take them out and play

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's not much issue if it's only your dog. But if you mix your dog with other dogs, well by the end of the day you may not recognize your dog anymore with all the bad habits he may have picked up.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
There's not much issue if it's only your dog. But if you mix your dog with other dogs, well by the end of the day you may not recognize your dog anymore with all the bad habits he may have picked up.
Dogs don't generally pick up bad habits from other dogs; they pick them up from other dogs' owners.

They do, however, pick up death from other dogs when left unattended. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts