Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Blentec blender that will pretty much turn anything into dust.
(see Will It Blend)

I know cooked bones are a no-no due to splintering and perforation issues, but I am wondering if the bones were in powder form would there be any health issues?

I've deboned, blended and made homemade treats in the past.

If I threw an entire boiled chicken thigh in my blender and turned the entire thing into paste would that be a problem for digestion?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I did just that for Max's last few months and Ginger finished up the bone mush. It is fine. Put it through a strainer to catch larger bits. My experience is that too much bone is more a danger than than occasional gravel sized bits even if they are sharp looking. So blending and feeding super bony chicken backs is a no-no but blending and feeding a thigh if you add 2x its weight in boneless meat/fish/egg is fine.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Ground bone is extremely common in dry dog foods. For the most part this stuff gets cooked before blending extrusion and bagging. Does no harm and my guess is it agrees with most dogs' palates. It shows up as elevated ash content. Probably also as dense, higher-mass turds. If it works for you and your dogs, I'd say it's fine.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Several times I have taken a chicken carcass after most of the meat was taken off and put it in my pressure cooker for an hour. All the bones are then soft enough to squash with your fingers. I then put it into the blender with some water and use it to make my treats with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts