Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Not quite sure exactly which forum this would be best in, so I apologize in advance.)

Long story short I have a temporary Lhasa. He seems fairly sweet but he is extra thin and covered in mats. He even does this funny little dance when he walks that I'm thinking is due to his matting.

He does tend to be a bit growly and he likes to show his teeth. I held out a pair of my scissors for him to see, even snipped them, and he didn't care.

My question is--What is more important? Making him feel comfortable and getting rid of those mats or earning his trust first?

He seems clean even though he is very matted up.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

·
Registered
537 Posts
If he is matted enough to make him walk funny I personally would get him to a groomer. Mats can be painful and I would think that feeling better would help with earning his trust. A vet visit sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Get him to a groomer. DO NOT start cutting on those with a pair of scissors. The groomer can shave him down and when he gets home he is going to feel better and you guys can start a happy and healthy relationship.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I guess it would have been a good idea to mention that I'm a certified groomer. I didn't think about it. That's why I was curious.

If he's not used to the clippers--which I didn't turn on--I didn't know if his comfort was worth forcing him to let me take him down.

I was planning to trim some of the stuff near his eyes with the scissors, that's why I had them out for him to sniff at.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but if you can do it, I might still have someone else do it, so if he HATES it, it's not associated with you, and you're the savior for coming and getting him... Then work on trust and do it yourself after this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd considered that. He's an odd little fellow.

Would I use the training forum to ask questions about his odd growling/mixed signals?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well since you are a groomer treat him like any other lhasa. They are nice and then mean all at one time. He's basically a new client.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Well since you are a groomer treat him like any other lhasa. They are nice and then mean all at one time. He's basically a new client.
Gotta love those Lhasas...lol Sweet one minute...then your face in their mouth the next..;-) I agree..have someone else shave him down so he doesn't associate you with it this time. Then get some training and get the lhasa attitude worked out so he is a candidate for a home...few people want to adopt a dog that snarls and shows teeth..cause the next step is biting..and we know lhasas aren't afraid to let it rip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Graco, so true! Lhasa's will love you one second and try ripping a finger off the next. And that's why I price them higher for the first visit until I know the true personality . :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.