Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I really enjoy my grooming her but I just don't think I am doing her justice. She sits really well while I wash her and when I brush her. She doesn't have the really long coat as ones that are in a cooler climate do but I still feel like I could do a better job, any suggestions??

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Aussies don't really require that much grooming. There are some good books out there (All About Aussies, by Jeannie Joy Hartnagle comes to mind) that have good sections on grooming. Might trim off stray longer hairs, extra hair on toes (my Alice is called the Hobbit with good reason) and a little under the tail for sanitation reasons.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Aussies are pretty low maintenance when it comes to grooming. For mine I give him a good brushing every couple weeks with a slicker brush. More often if he gets muddy or gets burrs in his coat. Make sure there are no matts behind the ears and the pants. I trim his toe hair when it gets long and I trim his tail when it looks too long at the end. Sometimes I trim a little under the tail. I only give baths once every other month, with the exception of last month since he got sprayed by a skunk and has had many many baths since then lol. Dirt just kind of falls off aussie coats so they really don't require much and they tend to not get smelly like some dogs. Use a good conditioner for dogs when you bathe her especially if you are washing her very often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts