Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree it isn't all about looks.
Sometimes we have to do the owners dirtywork for them :(
The trouble is that the dogs get used to the build up of hair and the weight of the mats, when it's removed all at once they can be distressed particularly with the weightlessness of their ears, and feeling the air on their skin for the first time in months or even years.
I just wish some people would think twice before buying a dog that needs regular grooming.
There are thousands of shorthaired dogs waiting for loving homes in rescue centres all over the world :(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
OMG! Brings to mind this little pom that came in for grooming - had about 5 inches of nothing but matted, yucky hair :eek: This well to do woman brought the dog in & went on & on about how her little boy gets whatever he wants & her little boy does NOT like getting brushed so she doesn't brush him!
Records show the dog hadn't been in for either 2 or 3 years, & by the looks of it, it hadn't been in anywhere else for grooming either.
I seriously wonder if that woman could be turned in for animal abuse?
I know it's a different texture & all, but can you just imagine if no one ever brushed out my grand daughters hair for days, let alone YEARS!? She hates having her hair brushed too!

The dog in that article has to feel SOOO much better now!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I agree completely. Go look at the "what's the worst you've seen?" thread... those dogs don't just look bad, they're also bound to have a score of health issues.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Maybe Billy can talk Oprah into adopting that little cocker...He grooms for her, and we know she has a soft spot for cockers...;)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree it isn't all about looks.
Sometimes we have to do the owners dirtywork for them :(
The trouble is that the dogs get used to the build up of hair and the weight of the mats, when it's removed all at once they can be distressed particularly with the weightlessness of their ears, and feeling the air on their skin for the first time in months or even years.
I just wish some people would think twice before buying a dog that needs regular grooming.
There are thousands of shorthaired dogs waiting for loving homes in rescue centres all over the world :(
I remember when Wally first got his shave down because his previous owners didn't care for his coat at all.

He started running around like OMG I can MOVE. My mom and I thought he was just being lazy before, but now we thought that it might have actually hurt him or at least it felt uncomfortable for him to move around, not to mention his skin was really red because of the summer heat and the matted fur. Poor guy.

Soon as he was shaved, he was like running around like he was crazy, but it was just that he could move around! He was RUNNING up to us and playing and just happy! He was probably like FINALLY! I can feel the air on my skin, I can move my legs freely!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I remember watching an episode of animal cops where one of the dogs was so matted and filthy moss started growing on his back!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Moss? :eek:

Wow...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I remember watching an episode of animal cops where one of the dogs was so matted and filthy moss started growing on his back!
We must have seen the same show AC. That was my first thought when I read the article. It never ceases to amaze me the things humans can do to our four legged friends! :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts