Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little puppy Aiko doesnt like to be brushed. I went to PetSmart and spoke with a groomer and they showed me which brush is best and I took it home, and brushed him very gently. He doesnt have many knots or tangles, and his fur is soft and clean.

When I brush him, he gets REALLY antsy, and tries to hop down, or yelps. Which surprises me because I am brushing REALLY gently and slowly. I had hoped we could get a routine where he sits in my lap and I brush him for around 10 minutes each day. My cats LOVED to be brushed... him... he really doesnt like it.

Soooooo.... do you think I am STILL brushing too hard? Or do I just have to get him to the point where he likes it... offering food rewards might help? We were working on "sit" last night, but of course its gonna take some time.

Just curious, about your thoughts and recommendations.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
My favorite way to introduce grooming, nail clipping, pulling hair from the ears, etc. is to smear peanut butter on the wall (ceramic), let them lick to their hearts content and then brush lightly like you were doing.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I hold a brush in one hand and a bully stick in the other. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My favorite way to introduce grooming, nail clipping, pulling hair from the ears, etc. is to smear peanut butter on the wall (ceramic), let them lick to their hearts content and then brush lightly like you were doing.
OMG for real?! It's THAT EASY?

Ok my first question is... is that safe for an 8 week old puppy?
Second is... what if I dont have a ceramic wall... WAIT. I am kidding. Thats not really a question.
The next real question is, after a while they dont need the peanut butter right? How long did it take to get rid of that?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
after a while they dont need the peanut butter right? How long did it take to get rid of that?
That's right. You replace the treats with praise and confidence building.
My dogs still get a treat after every grooming session. How long it takes depends on the temperment of the dog. Some show dogs are even bred to accept grooming readily, but most take more effort. However, you should see an improvement within a week or two with daily sessions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My puppy is 9 weeks, and she's not a big fan of brushing either. She does not have any knots or anything. I think she just gets impatient and wants to play. I haven't decided a good time to groom because in the morning she is hyper, and of course when I get home from work at the end of the night, she is hyper. All she wants to do is play and bite the brush!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Great advice from Tooney, as usual!

I like to have a ritual with grooming time, so that the puppy (or adult) immediately goes with the flow, because of the conditioning. It's a wonderful bonding time which becomes very enjoyable for us both. I touch and massage, between toes, pads, ears, etc., sometimes talking softly, with eye contact, telling them how wonderful they are.

I have 4 who require a lot of grooming (Standard Poodles and a Shih Tzu), so it's important they enjoy it, so they cooperate, thus making life easier for us both! lol My once wiggley puppy is a dream to groom, and she sleeps through much of it. The Poodles lift their legs for me, hold still when I ask them not to move, turn around, and so on. There's really nothing they object to, be it cleansing/wiping an eye with sterile saline, cleaning ears, clipping/dremeling nails, you name it. When I'm shaving Beau's privates, he lifts his leg for me, but gives me a slightly wary eye as if to say, hey, be careful now! LOL He used to struggle something fierce, so I had to find a way to make him feel differently about what I needed to do. He loves feeling "special," having that one-on-one time with me, so he usually gets to go first (they ALL want to leap up onto the grooming table when I bring out my grooming stuff).

Just be persistent and consistent, and your little guy will come around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts