Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got my new pup this morning. Hes a mini schnauzer x bichon frise and is lovely :) Ive never had a dog which required any thing more then an occasional brush before so Im a bit stuck. Obviously Im going to take him to a groomer but at what age should I do that? I have a baby brush at the minute which Ive had a quick go with and he seemed to like it :) What else do I need to have in a home grooming kit? His hair is very soft and wavy and prob medium length, im not sure if you can see in my profile pic.
Also his nails seem very sharp and are catching on my tops, blankets etc. Is it ok to cut them myself, they are white so i can see the nerve.
thanks x

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You can certainly trim his nails yourself. It will be easy since they are white and you can see the quick. Its best to get them used to it as early as possible, just be sure you are setting him up for sucess when you do any "grooming" on him. Make the sessions short, praise him when he's good, and ignore the bad behavior and keep right on doing what you are doing. Don't stop because he is being naughty...that just teaches him to be naughty and you'll stop. ;) As soon as he has had his final set of puppy vaccines (usually around 12 weeks, or sooner) he should be professionally groomed. If he doesn't need a full out haircut, and bath and tidy, etc. to get him used the the clippers, the dryers, the standing on the table, etc. He is going to need to be professionally groomed regularly, every 6-10 weeks or so, and the earlier you start them, the happier they are in the long run. Its a long life of grooming, and its better for everyone if it goes pleasantly. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can certainly trim his nails yourself. It will be easy since they are white and you can see the quick. Its best to get them used to it as early as possible, just be sure you are setting him up for sucess when you do any "grooming" on him. Make the sessions short, praise him when he's good, and ignore the bad behavior and keep right on doing what you are doing. Don't stop because he is being naughty...that just teaches him to be naughty and you'll stop. ;) As soon as he has had his final set of puppy vaccines (usually around 12 weeks, or sooner) he should be professionally groomed. If he doesn't need a full out haircut, and bath and tidy, etc. to get him used the the clippers, the dryers, the standing on the table, etc. He is going to need to be professionally groomed regularly, every 6-10 weeks or so, and the earlier you start them, the happier they are in the long run. Its a long life of grooming, and its better for everyone if it goes pleasantly. :)
Explained perfectly. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive given him his first manicure, i did it whilst he was asleep as ive never done it before and it was east peasy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts