Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been grooming Sadie my 10 year old Bichon mix for the past 8 years. She was a year and a half when I first got her. This was the first time I groomed her. She has always sat down and let herself be groomed. (Shaved, nails clipped, ears cleaned).

I have questions on how to make my 11.5 week old puppy comfortable with the clippers. I've gotten her use to the blow dryer and I think it was because after her bath she was cold and I just sat on the floor with the blow dryer on low and was just blowing it at her, and she slowly came around and just sat on my lap and let me blow dry her.

I've got a nail grinder for Sadie's nails and I would love to get Kina use to it. I'm showing it to her, letting her sniff it, but as soon as I turn it on, she bolts! I'm trying to giver her treats, but nothing, she's scared of it. Same with the clippers. I try to turn them on and just get her use to the vibration of them. Nothing she's too scared.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or just keep at it and she'll come around.

As for clipping her nails, as much as I'd love to use the grinder to file them down she's just to scared of the grinder. I've been able to clip 7 nails while she's been distracted chewing on a chew toy, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to clip her nails until she's use to the sound of the grinder?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I say turn them on and let her to come to you.. Or walk to her slowly with them on... also try holding her and putting the clippers behind her and turning them on...

First, I'd let her sniff them for a few days and touch them to her without using them at all... Just let her get used to seeing and feeling them.. Then try a slow introduction to the clippers.. It may take a week or more, but she'll come around.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you're going to work with her, have her on a lead, or on your grooming table; or basically where ever you groom your dogs. Always make it a point to have a leash on her, so that when you are working with her, she can't simply run and hide. You aren't going to force the tools in her face, but you aren't going to let her decide they are simply to scarey and she's just going to run away from them either!

Start with treats and have her investigate the tools on her own as you take them out; as she investigates reward her with treats. Don't turn anything on, or try to use any of the tools yet, just randomly pick her up, set her on your grooming station and have her investigate the things you use. Treat her for calm behavior. Don't quit a session until she is relaxed. ONLY when she is totally calm will you want to start turning equipment on, and letting her investigate it while it runs; you don't have to touch her with it yet, just let her get used to it on her own. The only thing you are controlling are the treats, and the fact that you aren't going to let her run and hide. In time, she will learn that the equipment isn't a big deal, and because you are a home groomer you really have all the time in the world to help her learn that; this is a HUGE advantage, compared to us groomers who have to take in these same scared puppies at the same ages as yours is and help them learn that grooming is okay in one 3 hour session...and hope that it sticks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much Sophie! I'll try that approach! I guess I was turning them on too quickly which was scaring her.

I don't envy you groomers who have to try to groom scared dogs! It must be so hard!

Thank you for your suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts