Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is because I brought Kina in today for her first ever puppy cut.

I have been working for weeks with her, desensitizing her to the clippers, blow dryers etc. She had gotten pretty comfortable with all the sounds.

When I brought her to the groomers I informed her of what I had done and that Kina may be expecting treats.

When I went to pick her up, the poor girl kept apologizing to me. She told me that when she was trimming Kina around the face, Kina squirmed and she gave Kina a bald spot on the side of her muzzle. I felt sorry for her because I could tell she felt terrible!

I couldn't help it but I had to laugh, and told her not to worry! I also gave her a nice tip! I understand that accidents happen and Kina is such a squirmer!

I once went to a groomer, who cut Sadie right at the edge of her eye and they never said a thing to me. It wasn't until I was at home looking at her that I noticed that she had been cut.

This is the first time I use this groomer and I will continue to use her even though I usually do Sadie myself. I love the fact that she was honest with me. I usually bring Sadie in once a year in the springtime, as I usually don't cut her hair over the winter. I'll definitely bring Sadie there next spring and will continue to bring Kina there until I feel comfortable doing her myself.

Also, I’ve always tipped my dog’s groomer. I figured I tip my hairdresser, so why should it be any different. People find it weird that I do? Doesn’t everyone?

So how do you handle your oops with your clients?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have been working in the grooming shop for just over a year. And we have never had any real opps's. most were just warts or somthing similier cut off by mistake, which yes they bleed. We just inform the owner hat this has happened, we have cleaned it up ect. I really dont recall any big issues with cuts, aside from things like warts, which are way way to easy to pop and/or cut, you should see some of the dogs that come in, covered head to toe in warts, lumps and bumps. And cutting them is always a huge issue, even jjust bathing them is a huge issue since they pop so easily.

I once had a realllly squirmy dog in my hands who I had just taken out of the bath. And he was slipping out of my arms/hands. As he slipped, I remember touching his face. I didnt drop him, slowly let him slip to the ground as I crouched down with him.After I had him on the ground, i was about to cry, he had a huge gash on his eyeball. I thought it was for sure me I told my boss, expecting to be killed. turns out he has some grapt thing on his eye ball. She thought it was funny that I was so upset lol. She even told the owner we all laughed. But i felt terrible at the time, like I just blinded the poor guy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fortunately I can count the"OOPS' " on my left 3 fingers! Always be up front with the owner! Just in case an infection or some other complication develops afterward. It's just common sense to be honest.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Oops happens sometimes, whether its a chunk of hair too short from an unexpected wiggle, or an accidental nick or cut. It happens on occasion, and any groomer that tells you otherwise is either lying, or just started grooming last week. I always tell a client if there was an oops. Luckily (knocking on wood) I haven't oopsed to the point that a visit to the vet was needed, but I clean up the area if its a nick, and usually put liquid bandage on the spot. If its a oops of the haircut, I will blend/try to fix it as best I can. I have never had an owner be anything but completely understanding when it happens, and I think being honest and up front about it is of utmost importance. Its their pet, and they need to know so they can keep an eye on an area, etc.

Oh, and in my area, tipping is the norm. I have few clients that don't tip. It is service, and its optional of course, but very appreciated.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well since I only had one grooming experience and it wasn't a good one I can say I love the idea of the groomer being up front and honest. I wouldn't have been upset with the accident they had with Oliver had they told me it happened instead of trying to cover it up. I totally understand accidents happen. This is especially true with young wiggly dogs. I guess if it were up to me, I would keep going to the groomer who gave the dog a small bald spot but had the courtesy to not only feel bad about it but be honest with you, the owner.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the other groomer been up front and told me that she accidently cut Sadie, I would have mostlikely returned to them. I was upset that they hadn't told me.

I'm glad that this groomer was honest with me, mind you it's kind of hard to miss the bald spot. lol, I'm still getting a chuckle out of it!

Graco, thanks for the tipping info! I'll continue to tip! I mean you groomers do get really up close and personal with our dogs! You all deserve it!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cider's armpit was cut open accidentally by a groomer I used a few times. She called me in tears and wanted me to take her to my vet. She was honest and upfront, and Cider never made a noise when she is often a really large whiner about things.

Ended up being a quarter sized avulsion when the vet shaved it down and she needed surgery the next day to remove the skin and sew it together. The visit the day of plus everything the next day came to $730 dollars Canadian. She paid the vet bill, and visited Cider at the vet in recovery.

She was so upset about it, I'm sure it was a mistake, and she was totally honest right when it happened. After that I learned to groom my dogs myself.. but it is for convenience as I wanted to show Smudge. So I needed to be able to groom at least him eventually anyhow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts