Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 6 year old bichon poodle mix to the groomer's for the first time ever on tuesday. Up until then I had been able to brush her every day and cut her hair and she was really nicely groomed, but with the warm weather coming up I thought it might benefit her to get a real cut, a shorter cut. So I took her in, she is generally a nervous dog when in unfamiliar strange places, and they groomed her. She looks great, but today I started to notice that she is acting differently. She doesn't get out of bed in the morning when I get up for work, at around 7. She sleeps in, which is wierd and she never does that. Also, she just sits in her crate most of the day and most disturbing of all she wimpers and whines every minute or so for no reason. She is still eating and drinking. When my friend came over who she usually is happy to greet and go up to, she came out then saw her, then quickly ran back to her crate. Is my dog suffering trauma from her first visit to the groomers? Is she developing a fear of people now? All that I was told after the grooming by the groomer when i asked how it went was "She wasn't happy....." along with a bit of a dirty look......What can I do to help her and will this just wear off?

·
Banned
78 Posts
Hello Ghiig, you have made moutainous assumptions here, namely that your dog being quiet today, is about something that happened at a groomers.

You picked her up didnt you, did you notice any adverse behaviour on your arrival?

Sounds to me like a trip to vet for check up is required. She maybe in pain as she is whimpering. NB. Dogs do not whine and whimper for no reason, EVER.
Your dog is communicating something you just dont understand yet. Please dont fob behaviours off as having no reason, just because you dont talk dog language.
she's eating/drinking still, a good sign
What about her poo, is she going, is it normal, runny, offensive etc
She may well of struggled, and being passed middle age, has strained something, torn something etc.
She does seem upset about something.
If she is nervous of folks, then you need your friend to return, and have some really really nice treat to give her (and youve starved her for 24hrs to make sure she's really interested!) if she comes out of her crate. If she has learnt a fear reaction, she can unlearn, but will take love, support and firm handling from you, not molly coddling and attention for being nervous if that makes sense. Ty not to buy into nervous wreck behaviour from dogs, its reinforces it greatly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks rotten, I will call for a vet check up tommorow. Her poo is absolutely normal, I didn't think of her struggle and how that may have torn a muscle. I think that is exactly what happened that makes perfect sense. I'll schedule a check up asap thanks for your input. But she is walking perfectly fine when she comes out....could it still be a pulled or torn muscle?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Depending on the groomer it's probably worth calling to ask if there were any problems. Our dog has moved around a bit so we've had to change groomers (currently trying to find one who will actually remove fur instead of just bathing him and sticking feathers in his ears :confused:) and I always make a point of asking how he's been, if there were problems, etc. so I can pass the information on. I also give them a brief history (e.g. he doesn't like having his nails clipped) each time I go.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
How long ago was the groom? If a dog gets really stressed, they can act weirdly for up to a week after. But after that they should settle down, unless it was something extremely traumatic.

For a dog that is generally nervous, you might want to consider getting a mobile groomer that comes to your house, and stay and watch while they work to make sure they're gentle and the dog doesn't get too stressed.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I took Abbylynn to the groomers at a chain pet store ... one time only. She seemed fine until I got home ... and for a few weeks she would duck and pull away if I went to pet her on the head. I wonder if someone bopped her on the head to make her stand still? I will not use that particular place again. :( Grooming is now done at home unless I can find a place that will allow me to watch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Err, yes, I would call the grooming place and get some details as to what happened. You did mention that this was her very first grooming experience, and that there seemed to be some issues with her getting groomed there. She probably wasn't used to it and it could've been a stressful situation for her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts