Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a client with a chihuahua of unknown origin. The owner would like me to bath her dog, however:

The dog won't let me touch her. She might come near me, but if I reach out to her she bites me and runs away. I did finally try to muzzle her, which resulted in my hands being torn up and no muzzle being placed on the dog.

I realize now that the muzzle might not have been a good idea and what I need to do is get her to trust me so I can pick her up. The trouble is, I don't know how to do that. I'm assuming that having the owner exercise use of my day care program is the first step. I'm wondering how many visits I should recommend per week/month? Also, during these visits, what can I do to help bond with the dog?

I have her today and will be spending my time laying on the couch in my salon saying her name sweetly and giving her treats. That's the best I could come up with.

Also, could someone give me names of books I could read that are NOT for dog owners. My dog is well trained, but I need to learn how to handle dogs that I only have for an hour or two.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Is the dog clicker trained? You could click for letting you near her, then for taking a treat from you, then for allowing you to touch her once for a second, then for longer touching, then touching her with a brush or other tool, etc.

Also, has the client had the dog to the vet? There's no medical reason for her to fear being touched?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She isn't clicker trained.

I will talk to her owner about taking her to the vet. The impression the owner has is that she was badly abused in a previous home.

Update: If I sit on the couch, she'll come up to me. I sat with her from 7:00 this morning until 1. At which point, I was able to bathe her and clean her ears. She still won't let me do her nails or teeth. She started nipping at me again when I was getting her dressed to go, but it seems we have made some progress.

Right now my business is small, so I have time to give her that kind of attnetion, but if I have any dogs in the future with this problem, I will need another way to deal with it. Can you recommend some books??

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would continue doing the daycare thing, don't push it as far as her allowing you to handle her goes, just let her get used to things. Let her get treats from you, if at all possible a good chunk of her diet should come from your hand during the day. Then slowly work in the touch. But I would do so by getting her to come to you for the treat and brushing past your hand while you keep your hand still at first, then gradually work it in. It may take a month to get to the point of being handled, or more, but give it time.

With the owner try having the owner feed and handle her head (so she can't turn and bite) while you touch her rear gently and slowly work up to handling and such that way. It may depend on how the dog/owner relationship is as to if that's an option or a disaster.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Do a search. Sophia Yin has some excellent videos about desensitizing and handling for vets and vet techs, and I think they would also be useful for a groomer. For a while they were free, but you may have to pay for them now.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
It's certainly not a book on grooming per se, nor is it specific to your situation .... but I'd have a look at Turid Rugaas' "Calming Signals". It may prove to be invaluable to you in many other ways.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's certainly not a book on grooming per se, nor is it specific to your situation .... but I'd have a look at Turid Rugaas' "Calming Signals". It may prove to be invaluable to you in many other ways.
Another useful book would be Brenda Aloff's "Canine Body Language - a Photographic Guide"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts