Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was raised with cats, and I've never owned a dog but have always wanted one. I've only just started serious research.

I'd like a dog that will cuddle/sleep on my bed (obviously after crate training and such) but doesn't need a ton of company or supervision - I live by myself, and I work 8-9 hours a day. I'd prefer a dog I can trust to leave alone, and one that won't get emotionally distraught because of it. I already do a daily run to maintain my own health, so any dog that would be satisfied with a 45min-1hr jog would be just fine with me.

I've always been fond of Greyhounds. From what I've read, it seems like their temperament might fit this, but I'm worried about their activity needs (in relation to hyperactivity, from what I've read they don't require much in terms of walking), and I've read things about potential separation anxiety. A whippet would be a great compromise if they offer something that greyhounds don't.

That said, I'm willing to consider almost any medium or smallish-large dog that seems like it would fit my situation. Any thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
In your case I would go to a shelter and look for an adult dog that meets your needs. No puppy is going to do well being left alone for 8-9 hours at a time and a shelter can tell you what kind of personality your going to end up with. :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think it depends on what your definition of "much walking" is. For an adult Greyhound I'd estimate about 45 minutes of walking, twice a day. I don't see why they couldn't keep up with a daily hour-long jog. (I'm not sure they make good endurance runners, though.) As far as I've heard, Greyhounds adapt well to their owners' activity levels. If you wanna go, they're up for that. If you'd rather sit on the couch and watch TV, they'll join you for that too, provided you give them the bare minimum of exercise that they need.

Have you considered a retired racing greyhound? A puppy doesn't sound right for your situation at all. Retired racers are usually about 2-3 years old, so still fairly young, but past the stage where they need almost constant supervision.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I think a greyhound could be a good fit. Greyhounds are couch potatos, but most of them will rise to your level of activity. Ours easily do a 45 minute *very brisk* walk every day (almost a slow jog). Most of them could easily jog/run that long...it just requires conditioning, which you'd have to do with any breed. Greyhounds are sprinters by nature (as are whippets), so they can achieve extremely fast speeds over short distances vs a dog like a saluki who can sustain a high speed (though not as fast as a greyhound/whippet) over very long distances. But that doesn't mean a greyhound or whippet can't be conditioned to jog at human speed for several miles.

I often tell people that if they like cats, they'll love greyhounds (and a lot of the sighthounds for that matter)...they tend to be the cats of the dog world. They seem to be quite content to be by your side, not necessarily in your face all that time. They do fine with working owners. I'd call their activity needs moderate. Though there is a spectrum of personalities, as with any breed. We had one girl that *hated* going for walks of any length. We have one now that likes short walks, but that's about it. OTOH, we have quite a few dogs that really enjoy walking, running, fetching, agility, sprinting, playing tug...you name it.

Separation anxiety is a potential issue for these dogs b/c retiring and being an "only dog"...left alone in the house while the human goes to work may be the first time in the dog's entire life that they are alone for an extended period. However, many greyhounds can make the adjustment quite fine. Just let your adoption group help find you a dog that makes a good first/only greyhound.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
In your case I would go to a shelter and look for an adult dog that meets your needs. No puppy is going to do well being left alone for 8-9 hours at a time and a shelter can tell you what kind of personality your going to end up with. :)
I agree with this. Any adult dog of the right energy level will work fine for you. I've got a cocker spaniel who's preferred past time is sleeping on the kitchen floor. Then again, I've met some super hyperactive bassets as well so it all depends on the energy level of the individual dog. You'll find some laid back, couch potato, greyhounds and you'll find some hyper, excited greyhounds as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts