Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is to INFORM, as I'm sure none of you would support this terrible business. But if you didn't know, it's important to!

DO NOT support the racing industry.

First of all, thousands of greyhounds are killed every year because they aren't "fit" for racing, were injured during racing, or are "retired" and no longer competitable. Greyhounds that aren't killed are often dropped off in shelters and rescues once they are "retired" to be replaced by competitable greyhounds. They can also be shipped off to breeding facilities to be used to breed more racing Greyhounds. Oh and did I mention greyhounds usually retire after about 2-4 years of age? And as young as 18 months old?

They do not receive normal socialization or interaction with other humans and pets. They are kept in cramped kennels for the majority of their life, and sometimes they don't get to leave the kennels at all in a 20-24 hour period. Greyhounds who are left in rescues and adopted often have issues adapting, and almost always are fearful of walking up and down stairs, walking on linoleum, and often don't know how to play with toys or other dogs because they weren't properly socialized. Just to name a couple issues.

Greyhounds are sprinters, not runners. They have bursts of sprinting and should not be over worked like racers are. A lot of the time, because they're over worked, greyhounds will get injuries while racing ranging from broken or severed toes to broken necks and paralysis due to spinal cord injury. This results in them being put down if they aren't killed from the injury.

If you ever find yourself wanting a greyhound, I say RESCUE ONE! And be sure it's from an agency that does NOT support the business, or if you're getting one from a breeder be sure they do NOT support the racing industry, because it's likely you're giving your money to someone who is also selling the puppies to racers.

Kill the business! Save the dogs!

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
This post is to INFORM, as I'm sure none of you would support this terrible business. But if you didn't know, it's important to!

DO NOT support the racing industry.

First of all, thousands of greyhounds are killed every year because they aren't "fit" for racing, were injured during racing, or are "retired" and no longer competitable. Greyhounds that aren't killed are often dropped off in shelters and rescues once they are "retired" to be replaced by competitable greyhounds. They can also be shipped off to breeding facilities to be used to breed more racing Greyhounds. Oh and did I mention greyhounds usually retire after about 2-4 years of age? And as young as 18 months old?

They do not receive normal socialization or interaction with other humans and pets. They are kept in cramped kennels for the majority of their life, and sometimes they don't get to leave the kennels at all in a 20-24 hour period. Greyhounds who are left in rescues and adopted often have issues adapting, and almost always are fearful of walking up and down stairs, walking on linoleum, and often don't know how to play with toys or other dogs because they weren't properly socialized. Just to name a couple issues.

Greyhounds are sprinters, not runners. They have bursts of sprinting and should not be over worked like racers are. A lot of the time, because they're over worked, greyhounds will get injuries while racing ranging from broken or severed toes to broken necks and paralysis due to spinal cord injury. This results in them being put down if they aren't killed from the injury.

If you ever find yourself wanting a greyhound, I say RESCUE ONE! And be sure it's from an agency that does NOT support the business, or if you're getting one from a breeder be sure they do NOT support the racing industry, because it's likely you're giving your money to someone who is also selling the puppies to racers.

Kill the business! Save the dogs!

1) I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say in reference to sprinters versus runners...... Sprinting is running. But no... Greyhounds are not long distance runners.... But that is NOT what track racing is.... Track racing Greyhounds is a sprint..... Either 3/8, 5/16, or 7/16 of a mile..... ALL are sprint tracks..... And all are shorter than a likely real life hunting situation for which the breed was developed...... Greyhounds coursing hares, rabbits, coyotes, small antelopes, etc. Regularly sprint WELL over a mile.

2) While I do not agree with every practice that may occur within the sport.... I do enjoy watching to puppies run.... I have gone to races for many years.. And will continue to do so.... It is the same with horse racing... I enjoy it....

3) Even if I did not enjoy or like dog racing, I would not not speak out against it.... Because if we end dog racing... What is next? Hunting with dogs, working livestock with dogs, etc? Herding trials, agility, dock diving??? once the door is opened....

4) Your tagline..... "Kill the business! Save the dogs!" Is an oxymoron....... Kill the business, kill the breed..... Without racing, it is doubtful there is enough interest in the breed to keep it going...

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
We used to breed Greyhounds, not for racing as there is no racing in Canada but we also got some dogs off the track. They all settled in very fast. They liked nothing better than getting out in a big area and just running for the sheer joy of running. I think dog racing like horse racing is tarred by the same brush. Most Greyhounds are properly fed and conditioned for racing, just like horses. If they are not properly looked after, they do not make it on the track so they would just be throwing money away. I know there are always "bad" trainers but they don't last long. If you have ever seen a Greyhound run, you know they could not be happier doing what they were bred for.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
We used to breed Greyhounds, not for racing as there is no racing in Canada but we also got some dogs off the track. They all settled in very fast. They liked nothing better than getting out in a big area and just running for the sheer joy of running. I think dog racing like horse racing is tarred by the same brush. Most Greyhounds are properly fed and conditioned for racing, just like horses. If they are not properly looked after, they do not make it on the track so they would just be throwing money away. I know there are always "bad" trainers but they don't last long. If you have ever seen a Greyhound run, you know they could not be happier doing what they were bred for.
This! Every sport and industry will have it's bad apples, but that doesn't mean the whole industry is like that! The majority of racing greyhounds, just like the majority of race horses are very loved and well looked after, and love what they do. Don't tar the whole industry with the same brush.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. No no no. Racetracks are GENERALLY AND MOST OF THE TIME horrible and there is a REASON that in 39 states it is ILLEGAL. Does this happen with agility?

In four other states, all dog tracks have closed although there is no law yet set against it. The states are Oregon Kansas Connecticut and Wisconsin.

Only SEVEN states remain in the US that legally race. There is a GOOD REASON for this. These organizations weren't shut down for the fun of it. PLEASE educate yourself and what racing greyhounds have to go through.

Long distance running is not sprinting. While races themselves don't last a particularly long time, racers practice for HOURS and are extremely over worked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, to say killing the business will end the breed - firstly I don't really agree with that but even if it did I would MUCH RATHER a breed died through lack of breeding a loss of interest than dogs being bred for miserable lives and continuing. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Long distance running is not sprinting. While races themselves don't last a particularly long time, racers practice for HOURS and are extremely over worked.
May I ask, where is this information from?

Not refuting it, it just doesn't make any sense to me that trainers would even get any value out of this. Sprinting muscles are physiologically different than endurance muscles, and training for hours isn't going to improve an animal's ability to sprint. Marathoners don't run the 100 yard dash and vice versa. You train for the sport you participate in whether you're a person or a dog.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id also like to add that comparing greyhounds to horses is not a correct comparison. Horses and greyhounds are clearly built differently and greyhounds are not built for long hours of racing.

Greyhounds are kept in kennels while traveling that are not weather proof. Many greyhounds are susceptible to heat stroke and freezing because their body is not built for extreme weather conditions and due to the negligence of their "caretakers". They have extremely thin skin and many develop joint issues from sitting on hard concrete or under bars. Many suffer from flea and tick infestation from lack of care.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
https://www.animallaw.info/article/greyhounds-racing-their-deaths

I believe there's a section about being over worked, but this is one of MANY pages that explain the horrors Greys go through. Not to mention the 300+ small animals such as jackrabbits brought in each week and illegally used as live lures for greyhounds only to be ripped to shreds by the dogs. They often break the legs of the small animals so the cries will excite the dogs and encourage them to chase it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A particular part that rubs me SO wrong is the bit where it says "16 Racing Greyhounds tested positive for cocaine". This is something I didn't know may be going on but I'm glad I know now. Awful.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Have you ever been at a Greyhound racing kennel? What would be the point in "training for hours"? The reason a lot of tracks have closed down for both Greyhounds and Horses is lack of people wanting to get into the racing. It is very expensive to do either as it costs a lot to keep animals in condition. We were in the horse racing for many years and gradually one by one, the smaller tracks closed down not due to horses being abused or anything, just not enough racing stock to keep them going where it was possible to make enough money to even cover expenses.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Id also like to add that comparing greyhounds to horses is not a correct comparison. Horses and greyhounds are clearly built differently and greyhounds are not built for long hours of racing.
I have to ask... Are you campaigning for horse racing to end as well? Because if you're not, I see that as highly hypocritical. Both industries have cruelty within them.

Though I don't personally believe racing horses or greyhounds is inherently cruel. I don't know enough about it to say for sure, but I believe many people who race their animals treat them well and I do agree we need to stop the ones who are abusing the animals for the sake of the sport. I think completely getting rid of either sport, though, is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Obviously you nor me is not going to see the ugliness of what goes on behind closed doors. There's a reason seaworld paints themselves to be wonderful to their animals when they really aren't. Have you read any of the greyhound pages such as the ASPCA that explains that many greyhounds die each year and suffer from lack of veterinary care as well as lack of socialization? How they routinely experience cardiac arrest, broken necks and legs, and paralysis from crushed spinal cords? Does non of that bother you or make you want to stop supporting them?

Like I said there is a GOOD reason only 7 states allow racing. Of the 21 tracks left 12 of them are in Florida where much of the neglect takes place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to ask... Are you campaigning for horse racing to end as well? Because if you're not, I see that as highly hypocritical. Both industries have cruelty within them.

Though I don't personally believe racing horses or greyhounds is inherently cruel. I don't know enough about it to say for sure, but I believe many people who race their animals treat them well and I do agree we need to stop the ones who are abusing the animals for the sake of the sport. I think completely getting rid of either sport, though, is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
No I do not support horse racing but this is a dog forum and I have not looked very far into horse racing. After all but 7 states shut down greyhound racing it's very clear to me that MOST practices are cruel and inhumane which is why I don't support the industry as a whole and believe they should be shut down or regulated more strictly so puppies aren't being culled and dying of broken spines smashed skulls and heat stroke or starvation etc

·
Registered
852 Posts
No I do not support horse racing but this is a dog forum and I have not looked very far into horse racing. After all but 7 states shut down greyhound racing it's very clear to me that MOST practices are cruel and inhumane which is why I don't support the industry as a whole and believe they should be shut down or regulated more strictly so puppies aren't being culled and dying of broken spines smashed skulls and heat stroke or starvation etc
Just curious, what do you propose happen to the greyhound puppies so they aren't culled? Who would take in these 85,000 puppies?

ETA Were all 85,000 puppies euthanized? There are a lot of assumptions and extrapolating in your one link.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts

I believe there's a section about being over worked, but this is one of MANY pages that explain the horrors Greys go through. Not to mention the 300+ small animals such as jackrabbits brought in each week and illegally used as live lures for greyhounds only to be ripped to shreds by the dogs. They often break the legs of the small animals so the cries will excite the dogs and encourage them to chase it.
That article was published in 2003. Is there any follow up on whether or how practices have changed?

ETA: The ASPCA article is more current, thanks. But I don't like how they lump all injuries and deaths together. And 27 cases of cruelty or neglect between 2008-2015, while not awesome, doesn't seem like data to hang an "all of them are abused and neglected" hat on. There are probably more than 27 cases of cruelty or neglect every year by pet owners.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just curious, what do you propose happen to the greyhound puppies so they aren't culled? Who would take in these 85,000 puppies?

ETA Were all 85,000 puppies euthanized? There are a lot of assumptions and extrapolating in your one link.
That was over a 10 year period. And obviously the amount of puppies culled or euthanized wouldn't have all found homes. Which further justifies why they are clearly irresponsibly breeding these dogs and shouldn't be breeding all of those puppies if they know not all of them will have a purpose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

That article was published in 2003. Is there any follow up on whether or how practices have changed?
Articles are easy to find but here are a few new ones on racing horrors

http://www.grey2kusa.org/pdf/GREY2KUSANationalFactSheet.pdf
From a non profit trying to end racing

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-31/greyhound-racing-nsw-cover-ups-tip-offs-revealed/6736034
2015 article on illegal use of live bait and the torture of small animals

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7338024
2015 article about grey2kusa working on ending greyhound racing

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-32955011
Cruelty in Australia as well

1 - 20 of 163 Posts