Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that I didn't properly introduce myself and my four-legged compatriots. We live in a small town outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana (that's the state capitol) and it's me...one odd cat...and a 5 month old black lab puppy named Chance.

I rescued Chance from one of our local no-kill shelters, and she came to live with me at 4 months...already fixed, introduced (and loving) all sorts of people, other dogs, cats, a pot bellied pig and even horses.

So far nothing scares this little girl. Not vaccumes, weedeaters, lawnmowers, washers, dryers, knocks at the door, horns honking.....or even fireworks! (which I found out last night while walking..it is almost the 4th! She watched them in the sky and wagged her tail. Even the sparklers a few feet away and the loud popping sounds were just met with a head cocked to the side and some tail wagging.

She's not my first lab.....let's see....I had Kilo (another rescue, I didn't name him) who I met when he was 1 1/2. He was a huge yellow lab, one of those gentle giants. I found out when I took him to the vet that he had heartworms. Of course this was treated ASAP and he came through beautifully!

At 2 1/2 years old, there was an interesting event that still gets talked about in my town. I had only been home from work for about 15 minutes, just long enough to put Kilo on his long tie out to potty while I changed clothes to take him for his walk/run. I heard this (usually VERY quiet dog) began barking and growling and acting like there was some serious danger outside. I looked out the window, and all I saw was a man in my driveway wearing a short sleeved blue shirt and khaki pants, looking slightly terrified as this nearly 100 lb dog was trying very hard to get off that lead and possibly eat him for dinner. I opened the door and stepped out, walking over to Kilo. Kilo sat down, still upset, but a bit calmer and I asked the man what he needed. He said he was going door to door selling alarm systems. I laughed and said he just met my alarm system, and no thank you. I should have noticed the guy had no logo on his shirt, and his hands were empty. Not a clipboard or flyers or anything. This was in early December of that year. In January, my neighbor was brutally murdered, and of course her then estranged husband was the prime suspect. This is also during the scary period of the South Louisiana Serial Killer....although no one thought of that at the time. A few months later a man named Derrick Todd Lee had his picture flashed all over TV one night....he had been linked to another murder in Baton Rouge. And I nearly had a heart attack. It was the man I had seen in the driveway!!!! I called the cops...and for the next few months I had everyone from the local law enforcement folks to the FBI coming by to talk to me and investigate. I was the lady whose dog tried to eat a serial killer.

At about 3 years old...we had a very interesting walk. While walking near a treeline at the back of a sugarcane field, Kilo began pulling severely toward the trees and barking his head off. Me vs a 93 pound determined lab (Nope...he wasn't fat either)...we went to the trees. He began pawing at and digging in some leaves at the base of one of the trees, and quickly uncovered an Altoid's tin. I thought maybe the scent of the candy got to him, but then he barked at it more and growled. I reached for the tin, and as soon as I did, he sat down and went back to being a goofy and unconcerned dog. I opened it...and much to my surprize....he had uncovered someone's little drug stash. Of course I called the cops etc...... At the time I worked for the Louisiana Department of Corrections in the Field unit, and I told the story to some friends at work. A few days later the Captain over the K9 unit approached me and started asking questions. A long story made short....he met me one weekend and brough his drug dog training stuff. Kilo turned out to be a natural....and I ended up selling him to the DOC (where he still is....now 12, and still a gentle giant of a drug detection dog).

About a year later....I bought a lab puppy from a BYB and named her Kinsey. Another yellow lab, and for some reason I fell for the runt of the litter. Full grown she weighs 52 pounds. Quite a difference! I still have her, but she's starting to develop a stomach tumor.

And now I also have Chance.

And the cat, Casey. Who thinks she's human.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow! What amazing stories! Kilo was destined to do great and wonderful things and it sounds like he's enjoying his job. Congrats on your new puppy. And welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I just have to say... with a name like Kilo, he was destined to be a drug dog! Amazing stories.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just have to say... with a name like Kilo, he was destined to be a drug dog! Amazing stories.
The name wound up prophetic didn't it? *chuckles* Not bad for a dog that spent the most of his first year and a half on a chain in someone's backyard! I left that part out by accident. Kilo belonged to the 3rd cousin of my family vet. I first met him in the vet clinic while stopping by with my mom to pick up Heartworm medication for her dog. The vet's older aunt had brought Kilo in after visiting this relative and seeing the condition the poor thing was living in. Aparrently the aunt just sort of 'took' him from the backyard. Dirty, sores on his belly/elbows/paws. She (the aunt) was saying she couldn't keep him but wasn't about to have him spend one more night in that yard on a chain. Um...Kilo left that vet clinic with me that day, with an appointment made for the blood work etc that would later tell me about the heartworms. But anyway.

Yep...he's a very happy dog. I no longer work for the prison system, but I do still get emails about him and I still have friends there. It broke my heart to have him leave me....but it seemed to be his destiny, and I couldn't deny him that.

Kinsey (yellow lab #2) shows no special talents unless being able to devour a 2 foot long rawhide bone in half an hour is a talent. *chuckles* Chance (puppy) on the other hand is maybe destined for some Therapy/Assistance dog training. An elderly lady down the street has started sitting on her front porch near sundown since she knows this is when I walk the dogs and waiting for me to come by. She loves to have Chance sit next to her and put her little black head in her lap. As soon as she walks up to this lady, the normally hyper lab/neverending bundle of energy becomes the quietest and calmest thing....like a very very relaxed statue. She would sit there for hours and just let this lady rub her head/neck/and ears. It's like she just *knows* it makes this lady's day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts