Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
I had to use a traffic light system with Bernie (working line GSD, very high drives). He would only work for me in the green zone, if he got to amber, i lost control. Red, forget it! At 4yrs, he will work in green and amber, and if i have his prized item, he'll come out of red also. But this took years.

So work out where his thresholds are, and keep him in green safe zone by adding distance between him and the stimulus. Then work on closing that distance, whilst still keeping him in green zone.
so for quite short periods of time initially.
keeping still when you have ants in your pants, is very hard for a dog, so use motion, and have him about turn the minute he acts up. When calm, turn around and walk toward stimulus, again, once he's in amber, about turn. Try to enlist a friend with dog for a couple of sessions of this. The aim is, to teach your dog it must remain in green zone, or you dont walk toward stimulus but go opposite direction. He has to learn how to drive you toward his target, the other dog! He will learn that certain behaviour = rewarding meet n greet, anything else, and his reward is witheld.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts