Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this done? How did it go?

Jack just had the blood drawn today. Poor thing has scratched, bit, licked, chewed, lost hair, made himself bleed since the day I got him. I took him to the vet yesterday (which I now know was a mistake) and she wanted to put him on a selective diet. I'm pretty certain it is not his food that is doing this to him. She actually wanted to put him on a worse food than he is on that cost $62.50 for 16.5 lbs!! The first five ingredients were grains, the first meat was fish meal. She actually said during the appoint she didn't think it was his food, but he may be allergic to fish. ...Um, I don't see why you would choose this food to give him then. She also offered some treats that would be better for him. Then when I got my notes on this diet it said do not feed him any treats! I felt completely ripped off. When I started to ask her questions during my appointment, I felt rushed and and she actually turned her head around and looked at the door like she had somewhere to be. URGH! Anyways, I have asked to see a different doctor there that I took a stray kitty too...he was great and offered a lot of information, so I hope he is the same with Jack. Now just to get the test results back.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Poor Jack! I would definitely go see a different vet. I understand that the vet might be busy, but animals are their job. It really irks me when some act like that.

Anyway, the ex had the allergy panel done on her heeler/bc mix and it came back that he is allergic to - what it felt like was - everything under the sun. Once making basic changes based on the results, he really seemed to get better. I hope you get some workable results from this... it will give me a little more confidence to go get one done on my dog!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Take a deep breath and relax as the vet thing is a process of elimination until you find one that has Jack's best interest at heart and is not looking at the door.
You will know in your gut when you have found a good vet. Prolly the most important thing now is to find out as much as you can from your tests and vet input and perhaps
a second opinion . You may have a food based or environment issue , and , it could be some of both. There are many here that know a lot more about than I do , and ,
I am sure you will get some helpful info.

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts